BioMedical Photonics Lab
The research in biomedical photonics is one of the frontier areas of science and technology because, light is rapidly becoming an important diagnostic tool and a powerful weapon for modern physician. This is marked by the exponential growth of photonic-based technologies in the last decade applied to biology and medicine. Thus, biophotonics based tools is expected to play a key role in next-generation diagnostic, analytical, and therapeutic modalities of the 21st century.
“BioMedical Photonics Lab” at IIT Ropar deals the highly interdisciplinary research work in collaboration with clinical professionals (e.g., surgeon, pathologist) that combines the expertise of physics, clinical science, biology and engineering at International level to address the challenges of biology and medicine. Our goal is to develop novel photonics-based tools and, use them to understand the initiation and progression mechanism of disease as well as facilitate the early diagnosis, which can lead to an effective treatment of the disease.
Dr. Rajesh Kumar has worked past more than 10 years in Europe and USA (including NASA, JPL and MIT, Cambridge) in Biophotonics and, has leaded several cross-disciplinary R&D (sponsored) projects that sums more than 300 lakhs (INR). In IIT Ropar, he is working with wide range advanced microscopy imaging and spectroscopy techniques, which include label-free and non-invasive approaches for biomedical and healthcare applications.
Techniques and Tools:
- Optics in Medicine/Tissue Imaging and Diagnostics
- Raman/NIR/FTIR/Fluorescence Spectroscopy
- Multiphoton Microscopy (Nonlinear Optical Microscopy)
- Second Harmonic Generation (SHG) Microscopy
- Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy (CLSM)
- Analytical and Bioanalytical Diagnostics
Dr. Rajesh Kumar
Assistant Professor, CBME
Office: Room 233 (TC1 campus)
Research area: BioMedical-Photonics, Microscopy Imaging, Spectroscopy, Optical Diagnosis.
- NASA – Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California, USA
- MIT – Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- NTNU – Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
- 2015: Ph.D. in PHYSICS (Biophysics and Medical Technology), Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway.
- 2009: 5 years MSc. in PHOTONICS, International School of Photonics, Cochin University of Science and Technology, India. Thesis work in SKKU, South-Korea.
- 2018: Management and Business Skills (certified course), University of Oxford, UK.
- 2011: Pedagogical Education (certified PG level course), University of St. Andrews, UK.
Sponsored (Funded) R&D Projects
- Clinical Application of Multiphoton Microscopy and Raman Spectroscopy: Focus on Osteoarthritis/NORWAY
- Yield kinetics and creep in nanofibrous materials for bio-medical applications/NORWAY
- Compact Analytical and Bioanalytical Instrument for NASA’s Future Missions/USA
- Development of a Novel Optical Tool for the Use in Orthopaedics/NORWAY
- Fiber-optics based low-cost Raman probe for antibiotic detection in Urine/UK
- MRI Compatible Medical Photonic Device for Integrated Interventional Imaging Operating System/EU-FP7
Laboratory-based R&D Projects
- Raman spectroscopy analysis of osteoarthritic human cartilage and bone.
- Single-cell analysis of human chondrocytes using Raman Spectroscopy.
- Bio-mechanical analysis of human osteoarthritic cartilage.
- Development of a portable optical module for polarization-resolved second harmonic microscopy for biomedical applications.
- Noninvasive bioanalytical investigation of human biofluids using Raman spectroscopy.
- Design and development of a novel Raman spectroscopy optical system.
- Development of a fiber-optic sensor for trace detection of contamination in water.
- Development of compact polymer optical-fiber drawing machine.
- Polymerization, fabrication and characterization of dye-doped polymer optical fiber.
- “Assessment of Articular Cartilage by Second Harmonic Microscopy: Challenges and Opportunities“. Rajesh Kumar and Anup Kumar. Frontiers in Physics. Medical Physics and Imaging 2019, 7(137); doi: 10.3389/fphy.2019.00137
- “Label-Free Non-linear Multimodal Optical Microscopy – Basics, Development, and Applications.” Nirmal Mazumder, Naveen K. Balla, Guan-Yu Zhuo, Yury V. Kistenev, Rajesh Kumar, Fu-Jen Kao, Sophie Brasselet, Viktor Nikolaev, Natalya Krivova, Frontiers in Physics. Optics and Photonics. 2019 7(170); doi: 10.3389/fphy.2019.00170
- “Comparison of Compressive Stress-Relaxation Behavior in Osteoarthritic (ICRS Graded) Human Articular Cartilage”. Rajesh Kumar, David M. Pierce, Vidar Isaksen, Catharina de Lange Davies, Jon O. Drogset, Magnus B. Lilledahl. International Journal of Molecular Sciences (MDPI) 2018, 19(2), 413; doi:10.3390/ijms19020413.
- “Automated calibration and control for polarization resolved second harmonic generation on commercial microscopes”. Elisabeth I. Romijn, Andreas Finnøy, Rajesh Kumar and Magnus B. Lilledahl. PLOS ONE (2018); doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0195027
- “Multiphoton microscopy of osteoarthritic articular cartilage”. Rajesh Kumar, Catharina L. Davies, Jon O. Drogset and Magnus B. Lilledahl. Optics in the Life Sciences, OSA Technical Digest ISBN: 978-1-943580-25-5, Optical Society of America (2017), http://doi.org/10.1364/NTM.2017.NW4C.4
- “Nonlinear optical microscopy of early stage (ICRS Grade-I) osteoarthritic human cartilage.” Rajesh Kumar, Kirsten M. Grønhaug, Catharina L. Davies, Jon O. Drogset, and Magnus B. Lilledahl. Biomedical Optics Express 2015, 6(5), 1895-1903. DOI: 10.1364/BOE.6.001895
- “Polarization second harmonic generation microscopy provides quantitative enhanced molecular specificity for tissue diagnostics”. Rajesh Kumar, Kirsten M. Grønhaug, Elisabeth I. Romijn, Andreas Finnøy, Catharina L. Davies, Jon O. Drogset and Magnus B. Lilledahl. Journal of Biophotonics, Wiley-VCH, 8(9):730-9 (2015), DOI: 10.1002/jbio.201400086
- “High resolution pictures reveal signs of osteoarthritis. Høyoppløste bilder avslører tegn på slitasjegikt”. Rajesh Kumar. Popular Science Article, published in forskning.no(2015)
- “Single Cell Confocal Raman Spectroscopy of Human Osteoarthritic Chondrocytes: A Preliminary Study” . Rajesh Kumar, Gajendra P. Singh, Kirsten M. Grønhaug, Nils Afseth, Catharina L. Davies, Jon O. Drogset and Magnus B. Lilledahl. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2015, 16(5), 9341-9353; DOI:10.3390/ijms16059341
- “Optical investigation of osteoarthritic human cartilage (ICRS Grade) by confocal Raman spectroscopy: A pilot study”. Rajesh Kumar, Kirsten M. Grønhaug, Nils K. Afseth, Vidar Isaksen, Catharina de Lange Davies, Jon O. Drogset and Magnus B. Lilledahl, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry (Springer)), 407(26):8067-77 (2015). DOI: 10.1007/s00216-015-8979-5
- “Mueller matrix three-dimensional directional imaging of collagen fibers”. Pål G Ellingsen, Lars M Sandvik Aas, Vegard S Hagen, Rajesh Kumar, Magnus B Lilledahl, Morten Kildemo. Journal of Biomedical Optics 19(2), 026002 (2014).
- “Analysis of human knee osteoarthritic cartilage using polarization sensitive second harmonic generation microscopy”. Rajesh Kumar, Kirsten M. Grønhaug, Elisabeth I. Romijn,Jon O. Drogset,Magnus B. Lilledahl. Proc. of SPIE- the international society for optical engineering. Vol. 9129, 91292Z (2014). DOI: 10.1117/12.2051989.
- “A facile and real-time spectroscopic method for biofluid analysis in point-of-care diagnostics”. Rajesh Kumar, Singh GP, Barman I, Dingari NC, Nabi G. Bioanalysis, Journal of Future Science Group (fsg). 5(15):1853-61 (2013). DOI: 10.4155/bio.13.126.
- “Selective sampling using confocal Raman spectroscopy provides enhanced specificity for urinary bladder cancer diagnosis”. Barman I, Dingari NC, Singh GP, Rajesh Kumar, Lang S, Nabi G. Journal of Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 2012; 404(10):3091-9. DOI: 10.1007/s00216-012-6424-6.
- “Fabrication and fluorescence characterization of dye doped graded index polymer optical fibre preform”. M.Kailasnath, T.S.Sreejaya, Rajesh Kumar, P.Radhakrishnan, VPN.Nampoori and CPG. VaIlabhan. Journal of Optics and Laser Technology 40,687,2008. DOI: 10.1016/j.optlastec.2007.10.015.
- “Automated Polarization Second Harmonic Generation.” Elisabeth I. Romijn, Andreas Finnøy, Rajesh Kumar, and Magnus B. Lilledahl. SCANDEM, Nordic Microscopy Society (2016), Trondheim, Norway.
- “Mueller Matrix imaging on biomedical samples – collagen fibers and atherosclerotic plaques”. Pål Gunnar Ellingsen, Lars Martin Sandvik Aas, Vegard Hagen, Rajesh Kumar, Håkan Gustafsson, Magnus Borstad Lilledahl, Morten Kildemo, Mikael Lindgren. 6th International Conference on Spectroscopic Ellipsometry, May 26-31, 2013 Kyoto, Japan.
- “Multi-Photon Microscopy: Adding prospective new dimensions to Osteoarthritis”. Rajesh Kumar and Magnus Borstad Lilledahl. The 4th National PhD Conference in Medical Imaging, 28 – 29 Nov 2012,Trondheim, Norway.
- “Characterization of collagen fiber in cartilage tissue by Müller matrix and non-linear optical imaging”. Rajesh Kumar, Pål Gunnar Ellingsen, Morten Kildemo and Magnus B. Lilledahl. 5th Annual Norwegian Molecular Imaging Consortium(NorMIC), 25-26 October 2012, University of Bergen, Norway.
- “Intra-operative photonic diagnosis”. Rajesh Kumar, Giardini. M, Melzer. A. and Dholakia. K. 23rd Conference of the Society for Medical Innovation and Technology (SMIT-2011), Israel.
- “Bio-photonic techniques: Physical principles, current and potential applications in radiology”. Kumar. Rajesh, Giardini. M, Samuel. I, Melzer. A. and Dholakia. K. RSNA- 2010, Radiological Society of North America, Chicago, USA.
- “Integration of Bio-photonic techniques with imaging modalities: Potential application in Medical Science”. Rajesh Kumar, Giardini. M, Melzer. A. and Dholakia. K. Euroscience Open Forum(ESOF) International conference, 3 July 2010, Italy.
- “Fluorescence characterization of dye doped polymer optical fibre preform.” M. Kailasnath, Rajesh Kumar, PR John, P. Radhakrishnan, VPN,Nampoori and CPG .Vallabhan. International Conerence on Optical materials and Thin films advanced Technology, (OMTAT-2005), October 24-27, 2005, Kochi, India.
- “Fabrication and fluorescence characterization of Rhodamine B doped graded index polymer optical fibre preform.” M. Kailasnath, Rajesh Kumar, PR John, P. Radhakrishnan, VPN. Nampoori and CPG .Vallabhan. International Conference on Optics and Lasers (ICOL-200S), December 12-15, 2005, Dehradun, India.
- “An LED based evanescent-wave fiber optic sensor for the trace detection of Fe2+ ions in water”. M.Kailasnath, Rajesh Kumar, P. Radhakrishnan, VPN. Nampoori a nd CPG. Vallabhan. National conference on Optics December, 21-22, 2006, IIT Chennai.
- “Fabrication of a compact polymer optical fibre drawing machine”. M. Kailasnath, Rajesh Kumar, P. Radhakrishnan, VPN. Nampoori, Notional Laser symposium. December, 17-20, 2007, M.S. University, Vadodara.
- Photonics for Healthcare. Rajesh Kumar, The nanoGUNE Cooperative Research Center (CIC), November 23, 2017, Basque, Spain
- Opportunity for Biophotonics in Future Healthcare (acceptance/clearance id: URS264981). Rajesh Kumar, NASA-Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, May 4, 2017 (cited under the section “Top Story” in NASA/JPL website), California, USA
- Advanced Optical Tools and Techniques for Orthopaedics. Rajesh Kumar, Cedars-Sinai Hospital (R&D), May 1, 2017, Los-Angeles, USA
- Advanced Microscopic Analysis of Human Articular Cartilage. Rajesh Kumar, All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS)-Patna, Department of Orthopaedics, June 10, 2016, India
- Raman and Fluorescence spectroscopy – applications in life sciences. Rajesh Kumar, Nofima – The Food Research Laboratory, Ås, September 23, 2015, Norway