After his ME & PhD from Indian Institute of Science (respectively in July 2005 and Jan 2008), Dr. Reddy has joined, J-Power Systems Corporation, Hitachi, Japan, a joint venture company of Hitachi Cables Ltd. and Sumitomo Electric Company and served as a Senior R&D Engineer in its Ultra High Voltage (UHV) research lab (one of the worlds few UHV Laboratories) for about four years. Added with good amount of pre-doctoral teaching experience in several Electrical subjects, he is in favour of deep industry-academic cooperation for the development of India. Dr. Reddy had in fact participated in academic-industry collaborative research in Japan with several universities of Japan (Toyohashi University; Waseda University; Tokyo City University; Numazu Institute of Technology, etc.). He had also participated in the deliberations of technical standards committee on Space Charge Measurements in dielectric materials. Dr. Reddy has published papers in reputed journals and conferences (IEEE/IET/IEEJ), in the fields of Nano-dielectrics, Power Cables (HVDC/AC), Power Transformers, Bushings; Mechanism of Breakdown, Space Charges and Conduction in dielectric materials. He had also co-authored a book with Prof. Ramu (retired) of IISc after his Doctoral Degree. He relocated to India after the massive earthquake of 2011, in Japan. Currently he is working as an Associate Professor in Electrical Department, IIT Ropar, since 2011.
Apart from research he is interested in teaching and training the young generation to meet future needs of the country. Towards meeting this all round development objective, apart from publishing in reputed journals, like IEEE, he put emphasis also on teaching and developing laboratories. He is happy that he made two labs, one for research and the other for Undergraduate students within three years after joining IIT Ropar. He is currently guiding four Ph.D students; two of them already completed their comprehensive examination. One student has already defended Thesis. He got sponsored projects which are of highest budget in the department as well as in the institute at the time of their award nearing to about Rs. 1.5 crores. He has served as Faculty-in-charge of Guesthouse for two years and served several administrative jobs including Placement Adviser, RPEC representative (longest service) etc. He is crucial in preparing original annual report of the department and brochure for the department.
Areas of Research
Mechanism of Conduction and Breakdown in Dielectrics, Space Charges in Dielectrics, Power equipment (Transformers, Machines, HVDC/AC Cables and accessories), Advances in High Voltage Engineering, Nano-composite Dielectrics, Power electronics, Signal processing in HV Engineering
ME and PhD in Electrical Engineering (HV) from IISc Bangalore, India
BE from University College of Engineering, Hyderabad
1. Researcher (After Doctoral Degree) - IISc Bangalore, Jan 2008 to Feb 2008
2. Senior R&D Engineer, J-Power Systems Corp. (JPS), Hitachi, Japan, Since Feb., 2008 to Dec., 2011)
3. Assistant Professor, IIT Ropar, Since Dec. 2011 till Dec. 2015
4. Associate Professor, IIT Ropar, Since Dec. 2015 till date
1. Assistant professor in Electrical Engineering, AEC, JNTU, Hyderabad (Pre-doctoral)
Selected Publications (in IEEE Transactions):
 C. C. Reddy and T. S. Ramu, “Polymer nanocomposites as insulation for hv dc cables - investigations on the thermal breakdown,”IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics andElectrical Insulation, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 221–227, February 2008.
 C. C. Reddy, “Theoretical maximum limits on power-handling capacity of hvdc cables,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery,vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 980–987, July 2009.
 C. C. Reddy and T. S. Ramu, “On the intrinsic thermal stability in hvdc cables,” IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics andElectrical Insulation, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1509–1515, December 2007.
 C. C. Reddy and T. S. Ramu, “Estimation of thermal breakdown voltage of hvdc cables - a theoretical framework,”IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics andElectrical Insulation, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 400–408, April 2007.
 K. Ishimoto, E. Kanegae, Y. Ohki, T. Tanaka, Y. Sekiguchi, Y. Murata, and C. C. Reddy, “Superiority of dielectric properties of ldpe/mgo nanocomposites over microcomposites,”IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics andElectrical Insulation, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1735–1742, December 2009.
 C. C. Reddy and T. S. Ramu, “On the computation of electric field and temperature distribution in hvdc cable insulation,”IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics andElectrical Insulation, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1236–1244, December 2006.
Recent Publications (IIT Ropar):
A. IEEE Journals/Transactions
 Ashish Gupta.; Reddy, C.C., "On the Estimation of Actual Space Charge Using Pulsed Electro-acoustic System", in IEEE Trans. DEI, Accepted
 Tiwana, A. P. S.,Reddy, C. C.,"Life Estimation Using Damage Equalization Method and Step-stress Breakdown Tests", IEEE Trans. Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Accepted
 Chahal, J.S.; Reddy, C.C., “Dependence of Space Charge Dynamics in LDPE on History of VoltageApplication”, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics andElectrical Insulation, Accepted
 Chahal, J.S.; Reddy, C.C., "Modeling and Simulation of Pulsed Electroacoustic Measurement Method," in Systems Journal, IEEE , vol.8, no.4, pp.1283-1292, Dec. 2014
B. IET/Elsevier Journals
 Reddy, C.C.; Tiwana, A.P.S.; Gupta, A.; Chahal, J.S., "Role of interfacial surface area on the physical phenomena of nanocomposites," in Micro & Nano Letters, IET , vol.8, no.11, pp.841-844, November 2013
 Rashmi Thakur, Dipayan Das, Apurba Das, C.C. Reddy, Spatial charge distribution in fibrous dielectrics, Journal ofElectrostatics, Volume 76, August 2015, Pages 1-7
C. IEEE/CIGRE Conference Publications (Held Abroad)
 Reddy, C.C.; Chahal, J.S.; Gupta, A.; Tiwana, A.P.S., "Role of external and internal parameters on the space charge formation in dielectrics," IEEEProceedings of 2014 International Symposium on Electrical Insulating Materials (ISEIM), , vol., no., pp.101,103, 1-5 June 2014 doi: 10.1109/ISEIM.2014.6870730
 Chahal, J.S.; Reddy, C.C.; Tiwana, A.P.S.; Gupta, A., "Modelling the effect of amplifier response in pulsed electroacoustic system," IEEE Proceedings of 2014 International Symposium on Electrical Insulating Materials (ISEIM), vol., no., pp.362,365, 1-5 June 2014 doi: 10.1109/ISEIM.2014.6870794
 Tiwana, A. P. S. and Reddy, C. C., “Experiments on Breakdown Mechanism in Current Carrying PVC Cables under DC Voltage Conditions” Proceedings of CIGRE-AORC 2014, Tokyo, JAPAN, May 2014.
 Reddy, C. C. and Tiwana, A. P. S., “Investigations on Electric Field Enhancement in Cable Insulation Under Certain Recommended Test Conditions for HVDC Power Cables” Proceedings of CIGRE-AORC 2014, Tokyo, JAPAN, May 2014.
 Reddy, C.C.; Chahal, J.S.; “Dynamics of Leakage Current in LDPE Under Different Types of High Field Application”, IEEE-ICPADM 2015, Australia, July 2015
 Chahal, J.S.; Reddy, C.C.; “Some Investigations on Packet Charge Formation in LDPE”, IEEE-ICPADM 2015, Australia, July 2015
1. T. S. Ramu, C. C. Reddy, "Reliability and Life Estimation of Power equipment, New Age International Publishers", New Delhi, December 2008
(TS Ramu was a Professor at IISc Bangalore and was the supervisor of Dr. Reddy during his Ph.D.)
ISBN : 978-81-224-2611-3; Publication Year : Dec, 2008; Edition : 1st; Pages : 300
Life estimation of Insulation/ Dielectric relaxation
Avnish Kumar Upadhyay
Comprehensive exam completed
Priyesh Kumar Pandey
Doing course work
The main focus of research is on nanodielectrics for power applications. In addition, ageing, life estimation, power equipment modelling design and development research is being carried out.
Latest research on spacecharges in modern ultra resistive dielectrics, external current measurement upto fempto ampere level, DC & AC breakdown tests, measurement of capacitance, loss tangent and characterization of dielectric materials is being promoted in this laboratory.
One Ph.D. student already defended his thesis. Currently, four research students are working for their thesis in this lab and are at different stages of their research program.
Courses Developed: EEL 314, EEL 705, EEL 709, EEL 483
Student Feedback: Categorized as "Excellent" by Director, IIT Ropar (In all semesters and all subjects taught till now)
Categorized as "Excellent" by Director, AEC, JNTU
B.Tech. Projects @ IIT Ropar: Fourteen completed; One running (Total 45 students till June 2016). Majority are hardware projects. Students contributed IEEE conference and other journal papers out of B. Tech projects
Administrative Responsibilities held/holding at IIT Ropar
1. Faculty-in-charge, Guesthouse, IIT Ropar (till 4/4/2014, for two years)
4. Looking after the EE website voluntarily (Since 2011, suggestions may please be sent to my mail ID. Anyone interested may takeup it.)
5. RPEC member PG/PhD coordinator for EED (Since 2012, till 2015)
6. Erstwhile member of faculty committee for new campus development (EED)
7. Faculty advisor for 2013 batch of EE students
8. Member of Standing Committee on Industrial Relations
9. Member of Patent Cell
10. Member of AC Committee
11. Convener INDUSTRY ACADEMIA CONCLAVE 2016
12. Member Fire Safety Committee
13. Ishan Vikas Yojana Coordinator
International Collaborations and Participation in International Student Research (Ph.D/MS):
Name of Student
Affiliation of Student/professor
Prof. Y. Ohki,
Prof T. Tanaka
Prof. Y. Ohki,
Prof. T. Tanaka
Tokyo City University
Prof. Y. Tanaka
Prof. M. Nagao
Prof. M. Nagao
Tokyo City University
Prof. Y. Tanaka
Prof. M. Nagao
*The research was part of a collaborative research on nano-composite dielectrics in Japan.
Important Achievements/Honours/Awards/International Recognition
15. Invited International Advisory Committee member IEEE-ISEIM 2017 (to be held at JAPAN)
14. Invited faculty-selection committee member for some universities
13. Invited Member of Board of Studies at NIT Trichy
12. Invited session chair at prestigious IEEE-ICPADM 2015, held at AUSTRALIA
11. IEEE ISEIM 2014 -Invited member of international advisory committee (held at JAPAN)
10. Represented India at CIGRE AORC 2014, held at Tokyo, JAPAN during May, 2014
9. Special invitee (1+1) @ CIGRE Asia Pacific Conference on HV Insulated Cables (B1) on January 22 & January 23, 2013 in New Delhi
8. IEEE ICIIS 2012 - Invited Session Chair at IIT Madras, August 6-9, 2012
7. Specially invited by J-Power Systems (Hitachi) to visit JAPAN during my Ph.D. and obtained job offer in its R&D center after completion of my Ph.D.
6. Studied ME and obtained doctoral degree from prestigious IISc Bangalore.
5. MHRD Scholarship during ME (Through GATE) and PhD (Through test and interview)
4. Studied BE in prestigious University College of Engineering, Hyderabad, one of the oldest and regarded best in erstwhile Andhrapradesh and in current Telangana state
3. Secured Rank 561 (AP State Rank) in highly competitive EAMCET of erstwhile Andhrapradesh state's entrance examination to Engineering Education
2. Received Telugu Vigyana Parothoshikam (Fellowship) From AP state Government (2 times) for being within first 100 students of Adilabad district of erstwhile Andhrapradesh state in 10th and Intermediate (11th to12th class)
1. Reviewer of a few IEEE Transactions and IEEE conferences
(Non-IEEE/CIGRE conferences, locally delivered invited lectures and program committee memberships etc. are not listed here)
Senior Member of IEEE
Member of CIGRE
Earstwhile member of IEEJ
Earstwhile Member of International Technical Standards Committee on PEA Measurement System
It is Dr. Reddy's dream to establish a world class HV research laboratory to perform high quality research at new campus of IIT Ropar. He is eagerly looking for interested prospective faculty to join him at IIT Ropar in this endeavour.
Likes "Karma Yoga" of Geeta (click here). Likes the great philosopher "Krishna". Especially his words "Samatvam Yogamuchyate" (Yoga is same as being equanimous or neutral to all and in all situations). Practicing it while learning from errors on the way.
I believe that I am Straight forward, Righteous and Fearless.....some tend to interpret in their own way (:)
Newspaper clippings showing coverage of national conference at local institutes where I was invited as Guest of Honour !