FAQs for Library Portal
FAQs for Library Portal
1. Where the library is located?
The library is located on second floor, behind the MP Hall of Administrative Block of the Institute.
2. Who can avail the library services?
Students, Research Scholars, Faculty and Staff.
3. How I can become member of library?
For enrollment as a member you need to fill-up the membership form which is available at circulation counter. For faculty and staff, theapplication form duly filled-in with
appropriate identification and further recommended by HOD should be submitted to circulation in-charge. For students, the recommending authority is AR/DR (academics).
4. What are basic library rules?
· Maintain quiet study atmosphere. Silence must be observed in the library at all times.
· Food and drinks are not allowed inside the library
· No bags or cases are permitted into the library.
· All library materials and personal belongings must be shown to the guard at entrance at the time of entry and exit from the library.
· All library users, when making copies of library materials, should strictly adhere to copyright laws.
· Personal belongings should not be left unattended.
· Library is not responsible for any loss or damage of personal belongings.
· Use of mobiles inside the Library is strictly prohibited.
· No material from the library should be taken out without proper issue. Taking book(s) without adhering to the procedure will invite disciplinary action.
· Faculty and staff going on long leave, deputation, study leave or extraordinary leave will have to return all borrowed materials before leaving the institute.
· The lost or mutilated book should be brought to the notice of library staff immediately.
· Website which violates the dignity of the institution is prohibited inside the library.
5. How are the books arranged in the library?
Books in the library are arranged in classified order using Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) System. After locating an item in the OPAC, the screen will provide the call number for the item. The call number is the “address” of the item on the shelf. It will look something like the following:
620.11 (assigned for the book “Material Science”)
However, besides General Collection, the books are also kept in other collections like Reference Section, Book Bank, and Hindi Books.
6. How to request the articles which are not subscribed by the library?
You may send an e-mail at email@example.com citing the web link/bibliographic details of the article.
7. How many books and for how long I can borrow?
Category wise summary of books issued is given below:
|Member Category||Issue Privilege||Duration|
|Faculty (including visiting/guest)||12 Books||One semester|
|Staff/Project staff||04 Books||One semester|
|Ph. D. Scholars||06 Books||4 weeks|
|UG students||03 Books||2 weeks|
8. What is the timing of issue/return in the library?
The circulation section remains functional from 09:00 AM to 01:00 PM and 02:00 PM to 05:30 PM on all working days of the Institute. However, the library
remains open on 24X7 basis for reference
9. Can I borrow theses and dissertations available in the
Theses and dissertations are issued for consultation only for a period of few hours. A member has to submit his/her membership card to avail this facility.
10. Should I pay overdue fine if I don’t return the book on time?
Borrowers are responsible for returning books issued to them on or before the due date. All overdue items are fined at Rs. 2.00 per item, per day. The fine will be doubled in the second week, and tripled in the third week, etc…..
11. What if I lose or damage something I borrowed?
You should immediately consult the circulation counter to know the book detail and then consult the Acquisition Section for the replacement of book.
12. How can I recommend a book purchase?
An authorized user can recommend a book for purchase by filling- in a “Book indent from” that can be obtained from the Acquisition Section or download from
library link: http://www.iitrpr.ac.in/library followed by ‘Book Indent Form’. The form should be routed through your instructor/faculty and Head of the Department.
13. How can I search a book from OPAC?
Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) enables you to search documents in the possession of the library. OPAC also enables library users know their
checkout status, issue history and so on. Here is link to library OPAC: http://10.1.201.8:8280/opac/
14. Who can I contact for help for placing material on reserve?
You can reserve book yourself using OPAC (http://10.1.201.8:8280/opac/). Further, you can ask circulation staff for thorough guidance of the reservation Process.
15. What types of documents are kept in reference section?
The section contains reference sources such as encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks, atlases, standards etc. The section also contains copies of text books
meant for reference only purpose.
16. How do I borrow reference books?
Books from reference section are not issued to UG Students. The PhD scholars can get these issued for one week. However, faculty members can get them issued as text books for short span of time.
17. Can I bring personal book in the library?
You can carry personal books to the library by making necessary entries in daily log register.
18. What e-resources are available to users?
For detailed information on e-resources, follow the below link:
Yes, for ready reference query you may have a telephone call on 2134/2135.You can also send a email firstname.lastname@example.org for books issue/return,
21. Can I bring my Internet enabled device or laptop inside the library?
You can bring-in your personal computer; the library provides Wi-Fi Internet access facility.
22. Can I donate books or other materials to the library?
You are welcome to donate the book to the Library. Donated books will be catalogued under gratis category. Accepting the books on donation is subjected to suitability as per collection development policies of the Library.
23. Where can I make a suggestion to the library?
“Suggestion Box” placed at the entrance of the library where you can drop-in your valuable suggestion(s). You can also email the suggestions @ email@example.com