Dr. Samaresh Bardhan
Dr. Samaresh Bardhan
Humanities and Social Sciences
Dr. Samaresh Bardhan is an associate professor at the Indian Institute of Technology Ropar.
Areas of Research:
Financial Markets, Credit Related Issues
Industrial Finance, Development Economics, Applied Econometrics.
PhD (Economics), Jadavpur University, India, 2009.
M.Sc in Economics, University of Calcutta, India, 1994.
B.Sc (Hons) in Economics, University of Calcutta, India, 1991.
Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, India, 2019 – Present.
Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, India, 2012 – 2019
Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Panchmura College (University of Burdwan, West Bengal)-(2001-2012).
Research Officer of the Reserve Bank of India Endowment Unit of Industrial Finance at the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta-(1995-2001).
Research faculty in Planning Commission Project at Indian Institute of Psychomety, Calcutta- (1994-1995).
1. Bijoy Rakshit, and Samaresh Bardhan (2019) "Bank Competition and its Determinants: Evidence from Indian Banking", International Journal of the Economics of Business, Routledge, (Taylor& Francis), doi: 10.1080/13571516.2019.1592995 (forthcoming)
2. Samaresh Bardhan, Rajesh Sharma, Vivekananda Mukherjee (2019) "Threshold Effect of Bank-specific Determinants of Non-performing Assets: An Application in Indian Banking" Journal of Emerging Market Finance, Sage Publications, Vol 18, Issue 1, (Suppl), pp. S1–S34, April.
3. Samaresh Bardhan and Rajesh Sharma (2019) "Does Local Financial Development Matter for Growth? Evidence from Indian Districts". In P Das and P K Biswas (eds.), Indian Economy: Reforms and Development, Festschrift vol. in Honour of Manoj Kumar Sanyal, India Studies in Business and Economics, Springer (Forthcoming).
4. Rajesh Sharma and Samaresh Bardhan (2018) Stock Market Development and Economic growth: Evidence from Bootstrap Panel Granger Causality Test, Journal of Economic Development, Vol 43, No. 3, 57-84, September.
5. Rajesh Sharma and Samaresh Bardhan (2017) Does Regional Financial Development Matter for Growth? Evidence from Indian States, International Economic Journal, Taylor and Francis, 31(4), 621-646.
6. Threshold Effect of Bank-specific Determinants of Non-performing Assets: An Application in Indian Banking (co-authored with Rajesh Sharma and Vivekananda Mukherjee), Journal of Emerging Market Finance, Sage Publications, forthcoming.
7. Rajesh Sharma and Samaresh Bardhan (2017) "Finance Growth Nexus across Indian States: Evidences from Panel Cointegration and Causality Tests", Economic Change and Restructuring, Vol 50, No 1, 1-20, Springer,February.
8. Samaresh Bardhan & Vivevekananda Mukherjee (2016) Bank-specific determinants of nonperforming assets of Indian banks, International Economics and Economic Policy,Vol 13, No 3, 483-498, Springer.
9. Samaresh Bardhan & Vivekananda Mukherjee. (2013). Willful Default in Developing Country Banking System: A Theoretical Exercise” Journal of Economic Development, Vol 38, No.4, 101-121, The Economic Research Institute of Chung-Ang University, Korea, December.
10. Samaresh Bardhan (2013). Profit Efficiency of Indian Commercial Banks during the Post- Liberalisation Period: A Stochastic Frontier Approach, November in Margin—The Journal of Applied Economic Research Vol 7, No. 4 391–415, Sage Publications New Delhi, November.
11. Marjit, S., P Das and S Bardhan (2007), ‘A Portfolio Based Theory of Excessive Foreign Borrowing and Capital Control in a Small Open Economy’, Research in International Business and Finance, Vol 21, Issue 2, June pp 175-187, Elsevier Science.
12. Bardhan, S., and S Marjit (2005), ‘Non-Performing Assets of Indian Commercial Banks: An Analytical Exercise’, in T T Rammohan, Mathew Joseph and Rupa Rege Nitsure (ed), Regulation of Financial Intermediaries in Emerging Markets, Response Books, A Division of Sage Publications, New Delhi.
13. Sanyal, M, P Biswas and S Bardhan (1998), ‘Institutional Change and Output Growth of West Bengal Agriculture’, Economic and Political Weekly (Special issue), Vol 33, No 47 & 48, November,1998.