a) Nonlinear analysis and performance based design of structures
b) Seismic vulnerability and risk assessment of Indian housing stock
c) Performance evaluation and retrofitting of structures
d) Risk-based seismic design of buildings
e) Performance-based seismic design of non-structural components
f) Effect of near-fault sites on seismic fragility of structures
g) Housing typology and seismic vulnerability of buildings in hilly regions
a) Rock mechanics
b) Land slides
c) Ground Improvement
d) Soil characterization
e) Expansive clays
3.Hydraulics and Water Resources Engineering
a) Flow and transport through porous-fractured subsurface medium
b) Surface water hydrology and climate change impacts on droughts, floods, rainfall
c) Regional Frequency Analysis
d) Groundwater Hydrology
a) Transportation planning
b) Travel behavior analysis
a) Environmental Engineering Areas
a) Remote Sensing Applications in Glacier Monitoring
b) Global Navigation Satellite Systems' application in atmospheric water content detection
c) UAV based photogrammetry
Computer Science and Engineering
1. Artificial Intelligence in Social Systems
3. Distributed Systems.
4.Game Theory, Reinforcement Learning
5.Computer Architecture and Embedded systems
M.Tech./M.E/M.S./MSc/MCA (or an equivalent qualification) in the related-areas* mentioned below, with an overall 60% marks (or 6.5 grade point out of 10) (55% marks for SC/ST). If the preceding bachelor's degree is not a 4 year long engineering course, one is required to have cleared gate/ugc/csir/inspire with a valid score in one of the related-areas* which makes them eligible for financial assistance for a PhD in engineering programme at an IIT.
Exceptional candidates with B. Tech/B.E degree in the related-areas* with a valid GATE score.
Candidate with a Bachelor's degree in related-areas* from any IIT with a minimum of 8.00 CGPA/CPI out of 10.0. These candidates are exempted from the requirement of GATE qualification.
Candidates who are currently studying in the final year of their B.Tech/BE program in the related-areas*. Such candidates should apply under Direct PhD program (as per Direct PhD norms).
*Related-Areas: Computer Science, Electrical, Electronics, Telecommunication, Information Science/Technology, Mathematics (or any other closely related domain).
1. Microelectronics and VLSI Design;
2. Signal, Image and Video Processing;
3. Wireless Communication, Wireless Networks, Antennas for Smart RF and millimeter wave systems, Wireless Power Transmission, RFID, IoT, Artificial Intelligence in Communication;
4. Signal, Image and Video Processing Techniques for Non-destructive Testing and Non-invasive Imaging Applications;
5. Renewable Energy integration;
6. High Voltage Engineering; Nano-dielectrics
7. Smart and Micro-grids;
8. Power System Dynamics and Control; 9. Power Electronics, Electric Machines and Drives
10. Electric Vehicle Technologies
M.Tech/M.E./M.S. in Electrical/ Electronics/ Communications/ Computer Science/ Instrumentation / Control Engineering or equivalent or Microelectronics/Solid-state Technology/MEMS/Nano Science/Nano Technology/Material Science/Engineering Physics or equivalent, relevant to the area of research with minimum 60% of marks (OR 6.5 grade point out of 10) (55% marks OR 6.0 grade point for SC/ST).
Candidates having B.Tech/B.E qualification in Electrical/Electronics/Communications/ Computer Science/ Instrumentation / Control Engineering or equivalent or Microelectronics/Solid-state Technology/MEMS/Nano Science/Nano Technology/Material Science/Engineering Physics or equivalent, and having a CGPA/CPI score of 8.00 (out of 10.0) and above with valid GATE score can apply for admission to PhD programme.
A candidate with a Bachelor's degree from any IIT and having a CGPA/CPI score of 8.00 (out of 10.0) and above can apply for admission to PhD programme. Such candidates are exempted from requirement of GATE qualification.
1. Transport Phenomena, Computational Fluid Dynamics
2. Process modelling and Simulations, Multiscale modelling, Process Systems Engineering
3. Molecular modeling
4. Catalysis and Reaction Engineering
5. Energy and Environment
6. Biophysics and Bioprocess engineering
7. Biofluid mechanics, Microfluidics
8. Soft matter engineering
9. Electric vehicle systems engineering
10. Crystallization process engineering
11. Active or self-propelled particles, nanoparticles, self-assembly, Rheology of suspensions
1. Design and Analysis*
2. Production & Manufacturing*
3. Thermal and Fluids Engineering*
* For more details on research areas, candidates are advised to visit the department website of the relevant faculty members.
1) Master's degree in Engineering/Technology or a Master's degree by Research in Engineering/Technology. Candidates must have obtained at least 60% marks or 6.5 CGPA out of 10 in their Master's.
2) Master's degree in Sciences with a valid score in GATE/UGC/ CSIR/NET/NBHM or equivalent qualification. Candidates must have obtained at least 65% marks or 7 CGPA out of 10 in their Master's.
3) Exceptional candidates having B.Tech/B.E degree with at least 65% marks or 7 CGPA out of 10 and valid GATE score can apply for PhD programme. The candidate who are in final year (seventh semester) of their B.Tech/BE program should apply under Direct PhD program (as per Direct PhD norms).
A candidate with a Bachelor's degree from any IIT and having a CGPA score of 8.00 out of 10 and above are exempted from requirement of GATE to apply.
The relaxation in eligibility and reservation for SC/ST/OBC/PwD will be as per the rules of Govt. of India.
Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
1. Physical Metallurgy
2. Mechanical Metallurgy
3. Energy Materials
4. Nano Materials and Nano Technology
5. Polymers and Ceramic Materials
6. Computational Materials Engineering
7. Material Selection
8. Device Design
9. Materials Processing
10. Functional Materials
Master's degree in relevant Engineering/Technology or a Master's degree by Research in relevant Engineering/Technology. Candidates must have obtained at least 60% marks (or 6.5 Grade Point out of 10) (55% marks for SC/ST) in their Master's.
Exceptional candidates with B.Tech./B.E. degree in relevant Engineering/Technology or Master's degree in Sciences with a CGPA/CPI score of 8.00 (out of 10.0) or above with a valid score in GATE/UGC/CSIR/NET or other equivalent national exam. A candidate with a Bachelor's degree from any IIT and having a CGPA/CPI score of 8.00 (out of 10.0) or above are exempted from requirement of GATE qualification to apply.
Candidates who are currently studying in final year of their B.Tech/B.E. program should apply under Direct PhD program.
How To Apply
PhD in Sciences
1. Synthetic Organic Chemistry
2. Inorganic and Organometallic Chemistry
3. Homogeneous and Heterogeneous catalysis and Materials Synthesis
4. Polymer Chemistry
5. Chemical Physics
6. Computational Chemistry
8. Electrochemical Biosensor
9. Fuel Cells/ Batteries
10. Molecular Dynamics
12. Solid-state NMR: Theory and Experiments
13. Supramolecular Synthesis
14. Ultracold Chemistry
15. Theoretical Biophysical Chemistry
16. Polymeric Biomaterials for Drug Delivery
17. Chemical Biology
18.Functional Organic Materials
19. Peptide and Protein engineering
Masters or equivalent degree in Chemistry/Biochemistry/ Materials Science and Technology/Pharmaceutical Sciences/Biotechnology/Physics or relevant areas with First Class (6.5 grades point out of 10) or 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST).
Candidates meeting this requirement must also fulfill one of the following additional requirements with valid
a) GATE Qualification
b) UGC/CSIR-NET or Equivalent qualification.
c) DST-INSPIRE or other national fellowship
Candidates with M. Tech or equivalent with First Class (6.5 grades point out of 10) or 60% marks are exempted from requirement of GATE qualification
1. Differential Equations
2. Complex Analysis
3. Fluid Dynamics
4. Number Theory
5. Mathematical Modeling
Master’s Degree in Mathematics/Statistics/Theoretical Computer Science or equivalent Master’s Degree with First Class (60% marks or 6.5 grades point out of 10 ), 55% marks or 6.0 grades point out of 10 for SC/ST.
Candidates meeting this requirement must also fulfill one of the following additional requirements with valid:
a) GATE Qualification
b) UGC-NET-JRF/CSIR-NET-JRF qualified or NBHM or equivalent qualification.
1. Experimental nuclear Physics
2. Condensed matter theory and experiment
3. Experimental nano- photonics
4. Quantum field theory and Gravity
Master's or equivalent degree in Physics or relevant subject / B. Tech. in Engineering Physics with First Class (6.5 grades point out of 10) or 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST) or MTech in relevant areas
Candidates meeting above requirement must also fulfill one of the following qualification with valid certificate:
c) DST-INSPIRE Fellowship
PhD in Humanities and Social Sciences
1. COGNITIVE SCIENCE: Cognitive Neuroscience of Language, Studies in Mind and Consciousness, Decision Making, Cognitive Processes
2. ECONOMICS: Macroeconomics, Financial Economics, Environmental economics, Open economy macroeconomics
3. ENGLISH: Gender Studies, Postcolonial Studies, Fantasy and science fiction, Memory studies and Historiographic Fiction, Fantasy, Speculative Fiction, Pop culture and fiction, Film studies
4. LINGUISTICS: Psycho/Neurolinguistics
5. PHILOSOPHY: Philosophy of Mind, Metaphysics of Self, Philosophy of Science, Aesthetics
6. SOCIOLOGY: Sociology of Rural Development, Sociology of Science and technology, Innovation Studies
Master's or equivalent degree in Anthropology, Cognitive ScienceEconomics, English Literature, Management, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology and Linguistics with 55% (or 6.0 grade point out of 10).
Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in Engineering from any of the IITs/NITs or any other ‘Institute of National Importance’ with minimum of 55% (or 6 grade points out of 10)
Candidates meeting one of these requirements must also fulfil one of the following additional requirements:
a) UGC/CSIR- NET or GATE or equivalent qualification
b) DST-INSPIRE Fellowship
Candidates with Bachelor’s in Engineering/Technology from any of the IITs and having CGPA/CPI Score of 8 (out of 10) are exempted from GATE requirement.
PhD in CBME
1. Biomedical Instrumentation and Signal processing
2. Machine Learning in medicine
3. Cancer biology
4. Cancer Therapy using Thermal energy
5. Immunology, Vaccine, Gut Microbiome
6. Polymer-Nanocomposite and Biofouling
8. Drug Delivery
9. Biophotonics/Bio-Medical Photonics, Microscopy, spectroscopy
1. A master's degree in engineering (ME / MTech) or medicine (MD) or pharmaceutical sciences (MPharm) or veterinary science (MVSc) or dental surgery (MDS), with a minimum of 60 percent marks (6.5 grade points on a scale of 10). Relaxation for SC/ST candidates as per GOI rules
2. A master's degree in sciences (MSc / MS) or equivalent, with a minimum of 60 percent marks (6.5 grade points on a scale of 10). A valid GATE score or qualified in UGC/CSIR/NET/INSPIRE fellowship, or equivalent. Relaxation for SC/ST candidates as per GOI rules
3. A bachelor's degree in engineering (BE /BTech) or pharmacy (BPharm), with a minimum of 65 percent marks (7.0 grade points on a scale of 10) and a valid GATE score. A bachelor's degree from an IIT with a minimum of 8 grade points on a scale of 10 points without GATE. Relaxation for SC/ST candidates as per GOI rules
4. A MBBS, BVSc, or BDS, with a minimum of 65 percent marks (7.0 grade points on a scale of 10). Relaxation for SC/ST candidates as per GOI rules.