Dr. Jena joined the Department of Physics as an Assistant Professor on 31st of December, 2013. His research expertise is in the field of nonlinear sum-frequency generation (SFG) vibrational spectroscopy and its application to probe the molecular structure various biomolecules and their interactions with interfacial water molecules at air/water and solid/water interfaces. He received his Ph.D. degree in 2008 from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, under the mentorship of Prof. Prem B. Bisht and Prof. S. Kasiviswanathan. During his Ph.D. program, he studied the nonlinear optical properties and relaxation processes of organic molecules by using the laser-induced transient grating technique. He joined Prof. Dennis Hore's group in 2007 as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Victoria, Canada studied interfacial water structure at solid / water interfaces using SFG vibrational spectroscopy. In 2011, he joined Prof. Sylvie Roke's group at Max-Planck Institute for Intelligent System, Germany and subsequently moved to EPFL, Switzerland worked on SFG scattering spectroscopy to probe formation and characterization of model membrane systems at the water / nanoscopic oil droplet interfaces.
Areas of Research
1) Sum Frequency Generation Vibrational Spectroscopy
2) Interfacial Water Structure (Air/Aqueous and Solid/Polymer/Aqueous Interfaces)
3) Binding of Ions to Amino acids, Lipids and Proteins
4) Polymer Nano-Composites and Molecularly Imprinted Polymers
5) Anti-Biofouling and Drug-Polymer Interactions
6) Radiation Pressure Induced Effects
Ph.D., Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai, India (2008)
M. Sc. (Physics Major), Ravenshaw University, Cuttack, Odisha, India (2001)
B.Sc. (Physics Major), Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India (1998)
Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, IIT Ropar, India (31st December, 2013 – Present)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Bioengineering, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland (May, 2011- October, 2013)
Max-Planck Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Max-Planck Institute for Intelligent System, Stuttgart, Germany (January, 2011 – May 2011)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Victoria, Canada (December, 2007 – September, 2010)
12) Yixing Chen, Kailash C. Jena, Cornelis Lutgebaucks, Halil Okur and Sylvie Roke, " Three Dimensional Nano ‘Langmuir Trough’ for lipid Studies”, Nano Letters, 15 (2015) 5558.
11) R. Scheu, B. M. Rankin, Y. Chen, Kailash C. Jena, D. B. Amotz and Sylvie Roke, “Charge symmetry at Aqueous Hydrophobic Interfaces and Hydration-Shells”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 53 (2014) 9560 (Hot Paper).
10) Paul A. Covert, Kailash C. Jena and Dennis K. Hore, “Throwing Salt into the Mix: Altering the Ordering of Interfacial Water by Electrolyte Addition”, J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 5, (2014) 143-148.
09) Kailash C. Jena, Rudiger Scheu, and Sylvie Roke, “Surface Impurities Are Not Responsible for the Charge on the Oil/Water Interface: A Comment”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 51 (2012) 12938-12940, (also highlighted on the EPFL News Mediacom with the title “Illuminating the No-man's Land of Waters' Surface”).
08) Hilton B. de Aguiar, Rudiger Scheu, Kailash C. Jena, Alex G. F. de Beer and Sylvie Roke, “Comparison of Scattering and Reflection SFG: a Question of Phase-Matching”, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 14 (2012) 6826-6832.
07) Kailash C. Jena, Paul A. Covert, Shaun A. Hall and Dennis K. Hore, “Absolute Orientation of Ester Side Chains on the PMMA Surface from Phase-Resolved Nonlinear Vibrational Spectroscopy and Electronic Structure Calculations”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 115 (2011) 15570-15574.
06) Kailash C. Jena, Paul A. Covert and Dennis K. Hore, “The Effect of Salt on the Water Structure at a Charged Solid Surface: Differentiating Second- and Third-Order Nonlinear Contributions”, J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2 (2011) 1056-1061.
05) Kailash C. Jena, Paul A. Covert and Dennis K. Hore, “Phase Measurement in Nondegenerate Three-Wave Mixing Spectroscopy”, J. Chem. Phys., 134 (2011) 044712.
04) Kailash C. Jena and Dennis K. Hore, “Water Structure at Solid Surfaces and its Implications on Biomolecules Adsorption”, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 12 (2010) 14383-14404 (featured on the cover and one of the top ten downloaded papers from PCCP articles in November, 2010).
03) Kailash C. Jena and Dennis K. Hore, “Variation of Ionic Strength Reveals the Interfacial Water Structure at a Charged Mineral Surface”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 113 (2009) 15364-15372.
02) Kailash C. Jena, Prem B. Bisht, M. M. Shaijumon and S. Ramaprabhu, “Study of Optical Nonlinearity of Functionalised Multi-Wall Carbon Nanotubes by using Degenerate Four Wave Mixing and Z – Scan Techniques”, Opt. Commun., 273 (2007) 153-158.
01) Kailash C. Jena and Prem B. Bisht, “Excitation Energy Transfer in a Weakly Coupled System: Studies with Time-Resolved Fluorescence Microscopy and Laser Induced Transient Grating Technique”, Chem. Phys., 314 (2005) 179-188.
Teaching Engagement (IIT Ropar)
1) Mathematical Physics for Engineers (PHL 456, UG)
2) Mathematical Physics (PHL 412, PG)
3) Physics for Engineers (PH101, UG)
4) Classical and Mathematical Physics (PHL 601, Ph. D.)
5) Classical Mechanics (PHL 103, UG)
6) Lasers and Nonlinear Optics (PHL 459, UG)
7) Laser Physics (PH 614, PG)
8) Experimental Methods (PHL512, UG and PG)
9) Medical Device and Equipment (BML 607, M. Tech.)
Administrative Experience (IIT Ropar)
1) Warden (Mercury and Jupiter Hostels, IIT Roar)
2) Chairperson (Sports Committee, IIT Ropar)
3) Vice-Chairperson (GATE-IIT Ropar)
4) UG Coordinator (Department of Physics IIT Ropar)
5) PG Coordinator (Center for Biomedical Engineering)
6) Observer (JEE-Main, 2015)
7) Institute Representative (JEE-Advance, 2018)
8) IIT Counseling Activity (JEE-Advance, 2019)
Ph.D. Student Supervision (IIT Ropar)
1) Mr. Deepak Tomar (July, 2014) (Ph. D., In progress)
2) Ms. Harpreet Kaur (January, 2015) (Ph. D., In Progress)
3) Ms. Bhawna Rana (July, 2016) (Ph. D., In Progress)
4) Ms.Harsharan Kaur (July, 2016) (Ph. D., In Progress)
5) Ms. Monica (July, 2016) (Ph. D., In Progress)
6) Ms. Sarbjeet Kaur (January, 2017) (Ph.D., In progress)
7) Dr. Shilphi Chaudhary (July, 2016) (National Post Doctoral Fellow)