Dr. Nair has earned his PhD degree from Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai in 2008. He carried out his post-doctoral research during the period 2008-2010 in Complex Photonic Systems, University of Twente, The Netherlands. He worked as Dr. K S Krishnan Fellow in Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai for the period 2010-2012 and later as Scientist D till 2013. Starting November 2013, Dr. Nair has joined as Assistant Professor in the Department of Physics at IIT Ropar. He has made notable contributions in the field of nano-optics such as the observation of sub-Bragg diffraction of waves in crystals, the first ever signature of three-dimensional photonic band gap, and lasing from nano-scale photonic structures. His scientific findings are published in high-impact journals and are highlighted in international scientific magazines like Nature India, Science, and Optics and Photonics News of Optical Society of America. Dr Nair was the recepitant of Dr. K S Krishnan Fellowship from Department of Atomic Energy, National Academy of Sciences in India (NASI) young scientist prize in Physical Sciences for the year 2012, and Indian Science Congress award in Physical Sciences for the year 2011-2012
Areas of Research
Photonic Band Gap materials
Nano-Optics and cavities in nanostructures
Non-linear optical and spectroscopic properties of nanophotonics structures
Ph.D., Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai, India, 2008
Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, IIT Ropar, India, 2013-present
Scientist D, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, 2012-2013
Dr. K S Krishnan Fellow, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, 2010-2012
Post-doctoral Research Fellow, COPS, University of Twente, The Netherlands, 2008-2010
1. Engineering disorder in three-dimensional photonic crystals, R. V. Nair and B. N. Jagatap, Photonics and Nanostructures: Fundamentals and Applications, 10, 581 (2012)
2. Photonic-band-edge-induced lasing in self-assembled dye-activated photonic crystals, R. V. Nair, A. K. Tiwari, S. Mujumdar, and B. N. Jagatap, Physical Review A 85, 023844 (2012)
3. Observation of sub-Bragg diffraction of waves in crystals, S. R. Huisman, R. V. Nair, A. Hartsuiker, L. Woldering, A. P Mosk, and W. L. Vos Physical Review Letters, 108, 083901 (2012).
4. Bragg wave coupling in self-assembled opal photonic crystals, R. V. Nair and B. N. Jagatap, Physical Review A 85, 013829, (2012)
5. Signature of a three-dimensional photonic band gap observed with silicon inverse woodpile photonic crystals, S. R. Huisman, R. V. Nair, L. A. Woldering, M. D. Leistikow, A. P. Mosk, and W. L. Vos, Physical Review B 83, 205313 (2011).