Dr. Sandeep Gautam joined as an Assistant Professor in Department of Physics on 15 December 2016. His broad research interest is in the field of ultracold quantum gases. He received his Ph.D. in 2012 from Physical Research Laboratory Ahmedabad. He then worked as a post-doctoral research fellow in the Department of Physics at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. After that he joined Sao Paulo State University as a post-doctoral Fellow. Presently, he is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Physics, IIT Ropar.
Areas of Research
1. Ultracold atoms - Bosons & Fermions – Static and dynamical properties of multi-component quantum degenerate gases, dipolar condensates, and spinor Bose-Einstein condensates (BECs); quantum hydrodynamics and instabilities in BECs.
2. Quantum degenerate Gases at Finite Temperatures – Quantum and thermal fluctuations in quantum gases; finite temperature effects on collective excitations;and stochastic methods inspired by Langevin equation in general and Brownian motion in particular.
3. Solitons and vortices – Formation and dynamics of topological defects like solitons and vortices in quantum fluids; and instabilities associated with these topological defects.
4. Spin-orbit coupled superfluids – Spin-orbit coupled superfluid gases at zero and finite temperatures. Study of phase-separation, self-bound states,spontaneous symmetry breaking, dynamical instabilities, and topological defects in spin-orbit coupled pseudospin-1/2, spin-1, spin-2, and spin-3 condensates.
Ph.D., Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad
B.Ed., Panjab University, Chandigarh, India, 2006.
M.Sc., Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, 2005.
B.Sc., Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, 2003.
Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, IIT Ropar, December 2016 - Present
Post-doctoral Fellow, Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP), Sao Paulo, Brazil, February 2014 - November 2016.
Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, October 2012 - January 2014.
Post-doctoral Fellow, Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, July 2011- October 2012
Senior Research Fellow, Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, July 2008- July 2011
Junior Research Fellow, Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, July 2006- July 2008
1. S. Gautam and S. K. Adhikari, Analytic models for density of a ground-state spinor condensate, Phys. Rev. A 92, 023616 (2015).
2. S. Gautam and S. K. Adhikari, Mobile vector soliton in a spin-orbit coupled spin-1 condensate, Laser Physics Letters 12, 045501 (2015).
3. Arko Roy, S. Gautam, and D. Angom, Goldstone modes and bifurcations in phase-separated binary condensates at finite temperature, Phys. Rev. A 89, 013617 (2014).
4. S. Gautam, Arko Roy, and Subroto Mukerjee, Finite temperature dynamics of vortices in Bose-Einstein condensates, Phys. Rev. A 89,013612 (2014).
5. S. Gautam and D. Angom, Rayleigh-Taylor instability in binary condensates, Phys. Rev. A 81, 053616 (2010).