Dr. Vishwa Pal
Dr. Vishwa Pal
Department of Physics
Dr. Vishwa Pal joined Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, India, as an Assistant Professor in May 2018. His research expertise includes the phase locking of large arrays of coupled lasers and their potential applications for both applied and basic research. He received his PhD degree in 2014 from School of Physical Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India. He has done part of his PhD at CNRS Laboratoire Aimé Cotton, Orsay, France in the framework of Indo-French collaborations. During his Ph.D. program, he investigated semiconductor laser systems by probing noise correlations and dynamical control with delayed optical feedbacks. After Ph.D., he received PBC fellowship for outstanding postdoctoral researcher by the Council for Higher Education of Israel, and joined laser group of Prof. Nir Davidson and Prof. Asher A. Friesem at Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel. His postdocotral research focused on exploting coupled lasers for investigating topological effects, simulating spins and solving computationally hard problems. He also worked on laser beam shaping with industries in Israel, under magnet project on Advanced Laser Technologies for Industrial Applications. In 2018, he joined CREOL, The College of Optics and Photonics, Florida, USA, as a research scientist and worked on synthesizing non-diffracting optical beams in free space by exploiting space-time correlations. In 2018, he also received Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Individual Fellowship By European Commission.
Areas of Research:
Large network of coupled lasers and potential applications
Coherent optical computing
Laser beam shaping
Vertical external cavity surface emitting lasers (VECSELs)
Coherence of optical sources
Nonlinear dynamics of lasers with optical feedbacks
Ph.D., Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India, 2014
M.Sc., University of Lucknow, Lucknow, India, 2006
Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, IIT Ropar, Punjab, India (May 2018 - Present)
Research Scientist, CREOL, The College of Optics & Photonics, UCF, Orlando, Florida, USA (March 2018 - April 2018)
Research Staff Intern, Physics of Complex Systems, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel (April 2017 - February 2018)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Physics of Complex Systems, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel (April 2013 - March 2017)
23) V. Dev, A. N. K. Reddy, and V. Pal, "Generation of uniform-intensity light beams with controllable spatial shapes" under review (2020).
22) V. Pal, S. Mahler, C. Tradonsky, A. A. Friesem, and N. Davidson, "Rapid fair sampling of XY spin Hamiltonian with a laser simulator," under review (2020). http://arxiv.org/abs/1912.10689
21) A. N. K. Reddy, S. N. Khonina, and V. Pal, "Generating autofocused aberration laser beams with different spectral performance," Journal of Optics 22, 045606 (2020). (IOP Publishing)
20) A. N. K. Reddy, and V. Pal, "Robust design of diffractive optical elements for forming flat-top beams with extended depth of focus," Appl. Phys. B 125, 231 (2019).
19) C. Tradonsky, I. Gershenzon, V. Pal, R. Chriki, A. A. Friesem, O. Raz, and N. Davidson, "Rapid laser solver for the phase retrieval problem," Science Advances 5, eaax4530 (2019).
18) S. Mahler, V. Pal, C. Tradonsky, R. Chriki, A. A. Friesem, and N. Davidson, "Dynamics of dissipative topological defects in coupled phase oscillators," Journal of Physics B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 52, 205401 (2019).
17) A. N. K. Reddy, V. Pal, S. Mahler, A. A. Friesem, and N. Davidson, "Flat-top laser beams over an extended range," Journal of Physics: Conference Series 1410, 012126 (2019).
16) V. Pal, C. Tradonsky, R. Chriki, N. Kaplan, A. Brodsky, M. Attia, Nir Davidson, and A. A. Friesem, "Generating flat-top beams with extended depth of focus," Applied Optics 57, 4583-4589 (2018). Highlighted as an Editor's pick for excellent scientific quality in a specific field http://www.Osapublishing.org/AO/abstract.cfm?uri=AO-57-16-4583
15) R. Chriki, S. Mahler, C. Tradonsky, V. Pal, A. A. Friesem, and N. Davidson, "Spatio-Temporal Supermodes: Rapid reduction of spatial coherence in highly multimode lasers," Physical Review A 98, 023812 (2018).
14) C. Tradonsky, O. Raz, V. Pal, R. Chriki, A. A. Friesem, and N. Davidson, "Rapid phase retrieval by lasing," arXiv:1805.10967 (2018).
13) R. Chriki, G. Barach, C. Tradonsky, S. Smartsev, V. Pal, A. A. Friesem, and N. Davidson, "Rapid and efficient formation of propagation invariant shaped laser beams," Optics Express 26, 4431-4439 (2018).
12) V. Pal, C. Tradonsky, R. Chriki, A. A. Friesem, and N. Davidson, "Observing dissipative topological defects with coupled lasers," Physical Review Letters 119, 013902 (2017). Featured in APS Physics, Focus story-- "Cooperating lasers make topological defects" https://physics.aps.org/articles/v10/79. Nature News & Views: S. Rotter -- "A laser model for cosmology" Nature 549, 163-164 (2017).
11) C. Tradonsky, V. Pal, R. Chriki, A. A. Friesem, and N. Davidson, "Talbot diffraction and Fourier filtering for phase locking an array of lasers," Applied Optics 56, A126-A132 (2017).
10) R. Chriki, V. Pal, C. Tradonsky, G. Barach, A. A. Friesem, N. Davidson, S. Knitter, C. Liu, B. Redding, M. K. Khokha, M. A. Choma and H. Cao, "Controlling spatial coherence," Optics & Photonics News 27 (12), 35 (2016).
9) V. Pal, C. Tradonsky, R. Chirki, G. Barach, A. A. Friesem and N. Davidson, "Phase locking of even and odd number of lasers on a ring geometry: effects of topological charge," Optics Express 23, 13041-13050 (2015).
8) R. Chriki, M. Nixon, V. Pal, C. Tradonsky, G. Barach, A. A. Friesem and N. Davidson, "Manipulating the spatial coherence of a laser source," Optics Express 23, 12989-12997 (2015).
7) C. Tradonsky, M. Nixon, E. Ronen, V. Pal, R. Chirki, A. A. Friesem and N. Davidson, "Conversion of out-of-phase to in-phase order in coupled laser arrays with second harmonics," Photonics Research 3, 77-81 (2015).
6) C. Tradonsky, V. Pal, R. Chriki, G. Barach, N. Davidson, and A. A. Friesem, "Optical processing in the aid of phase locking laser arrays," Asian Journal of Physics 24, No. 12, 1627-1631 (2015). (Invited article)
5) V. Pal, J. S. Suelezer, A. Prasad, G. Vemuri and R. Ghosh, "Semiconductor laser dynamics with two filtered optical feedbacks," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics 49, 340-349 (2013).
4) S. De, V. Pal, A. El Amili, G. Pillet, G. Baili, M. Alouini, I. Sagnes, R. Ghosh and F. Bretenaker "Intensity noise correlations in a two-frequency VECSEL," Optics Express 21, 2538-2550 (2013).
3) V. Pal, A. Prasad and R Ghosh, "Optical phase dynamics in mutually coupled diode laser systems exhibiting power synchronization," Journal of Physics B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 44, 235403 (2011).
2) A. El Amili, V. Pal, F. Goldfarb, R. Ghosh, M. Alouini, I. Sagnes and F. Bretenaker, "Observation of noise phase locking in a single-frequency VECSEL," Optics Express 19, 17250-17259 (2011).
1) V. Pal, P. Trofimoff, B.-X. Miranda, G. Baili, M. Alouini, L. Morvan, D. Dolfi, F. Goldfarb, I. Sagnes, R. Ghosh and F. Bretenaker, "Measurement of the coupling constant in a two-frequency VECSEL," Optics Express 18, 5008-5014 (2010).
For more details -- Webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/vishwapalsps Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=4TfBoFEAAAAJ&hl=en Orcid: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8395-2060