Join CSE@ IIT Ropar as research student
Department of Computer Science at IIT Ropar invites bright and motivated individuals to apply for MS(R)/PhD.
About MS(R) program: MS by research is a research oriented masters program, where students need to credit less number of courses (typically 5-7). Rest of the student’s time is spent in working on a research problem. Typically student spend 2-4 semester working on research and 2 semester for courses. An MS(R) degree can be a stepping stone for a PhD degree or a research career in industry.
About PhD program: PhD is typically the highest degree offered by any institute in the world. After initial course work (3-7 courses depending on background), student spend most of his time in working on research problems. Typically PhD in computer science takes 4-5 years to finish.
Why PhD in Computer Science: With PhD you learn a research aptitude that is finding and defining problem, solving them, and publishing the results. PhD prepares you to do research. Computer science still being a fast and growing field, requires lot of innovation to happen. So the research aptitude is a welcome skill by computer science industry. PhD are typically hired by top computer science companies like Microsoft, Google, Intel, Facebook, etc, as well as by research labs like HP Lab, MSR, IBM research labs, etc. For academia, PhD is a minimum required qualification.
Why Join CSE @ IIT Ropar
Computer science department at IIT Ropar offer many unique opportunities and benefits to its research students.
Student benefits for PhD:
- All institute scholars of Rs 25000/- for first two years and Rs 25000/- for next three years.
- Enhanced scholarship under some schemes and external agencies like TCS fellowships
- Support for attending national and international conferences
- Student accommodation is provided based on availability
Healthy research environment:
- Young and dynamic faculty with world class experience in research
- Diverse areas of research and excellent track record
- State of the art computing infrastructure
- Small department gives flexibility to have more interaction with faculty mentor
- World class digital library – all major journals are available
- Opportunities to connect with industry
- Wide range of eminent international visitors
- Currently IIT Ropar is operating from a transit campus that is also self sufficient. For example has three boys’ hostels, one girls’ hostels, guest house, sports facilities for cricket, football, tennis, basketball, badminton, etc.
- From next session (2017-2018) we will shift to new campus that is built in more than 500 acres of land and has got five GRIHA rating for green buildings. The campus would have all state of the art facilities. The new campus is very close to bank of Satluj river.
- Ropar is a historical town on the bank of river Satluj, big enough to fulfill all sufficient requirements and small enough to avoid pollution and distractions of a metro city.
- Faculty who want to stay in a metro city, IIT Ropar provides all facilities (like cab service) to Chandigarh, the city beautiful. Chandigarh is one hour drive from IIT Ropar.
- Ropar is well connected to all parts of India via rail/road/air. Chandigarh airport is at one hour drive from IIT Ropar.
- Ropar is gateway for many hill stations, like Kullu, Manali, Dharamshala. Other tourist locations like Amritser, Patiala are at couple of hours drive away.
Admissions for MS(R) and PhD happen twice a year. The advertisement is out in march/September with application deadline in April/October. Please visit admission website of IIT Ropar for regular update.
Typically following procedures is adopted:
Step 1: Applications received are shortlisted based on department criteria.
Step 2: Shortlisted applicants are called for interview/test
Step 3: Candidates has to appear in person at IIT Ropar for test and interview. The syllabus of the written test is generally GATE syllabus of CS plus general aptitude.
Step 4: Student shortlisted in written test appear for interview. The selected candidates are announced on website.