Dr. Chandrakant Kumar Nirala
Room No. 346
Dr. Nirala is working as an Assistant Professor in the School of Mechanical, Materials and Energy Engineering at IIT Ropar from May 2017. Prior to working at IIT Ropar he worked for The LNM Institute of Information Technology Jaipur, India for almost a year as an Assistant Professor in the department of Mechanical-Mechatronics Engineering. He began his research career at National Metallurgical Laboratory, Jamshedpur (CSIR) in 2008 by working of Development of Lighter Metallic Materials for Engineering Applications. After working for a year, he took a strategic career move for higher studies and completed his M.Tech and Ph.D. His research interests span both conventional and non-conventional manufacturing. Much of his work has been on Real-time tool condition and process monitoring, sensor based signal processing, optimization and feasibility study. In the real-time monitoring arena, he has developed an On-machine Tool Wear Monitoring and Compensation System for Micro Electro Discharge Machining and the key contributions at many stages have been published in several international journals.
Conventional and Non-conventional manufacturing, EDM, µEDM and varients
Tool condition monitoring through virtual instrumentation
Friction and Micro-friction stir welding
PhD: Indian Institute of Technology Patna, India, in July 2016
M.Tech: Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad, India, in April 2011
B.Tech: Government Engineering College Bhagalpur (BCE Bhagalpur), Bihar, India. in April 2008
National Metallurgical Leboratory (CSIR), Jamshedpur: Worked as Project Assistant from Oct 2008 to Aug 2009
The LNM Institute of Information Technology Jaipur: Worked as Assistant Professor from July 2016 to May 2017 in the department of Mechanical-Mechatronics Engineering
1. D. R. Unune, C. K. Nirala, H. S. Mali. ANN-NSGA-II dual approach for modeling and optimization in abrasive mixed electro discharge diamond grinding of Monel K-500, Int. J. Eng. Sci. Technol. 2018; Vol 21(3): 322-329. Doi: 10.1016/j.jestch.2018.04.014
2. C.K. Nirala, D. R. Unune, H. K. Sankhla. Virtual Signal-Based Pulse Discrimination in Micro-Electro-Discharge Machining. ASME. J. Manuf. Sci. Eng. 2017; 139(9): 094501-094501-7. Doi:10.1115/1.4037108.
3. C.K. Nirala, P. Saha. Precise μEDM-drilling using real-time indirect tool wear compensation. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2017, Vol. 240 (1), pp176-189. DOI:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2016.09.024
4. C.K. Nirala, P. Saha. Evaluation of µEDM-Drilling and RµEDM Performances Based on Online Monitoring of Discharge Gap Conditions. The international journal of advance manufacturing technology, 2016, Vol. 85 (9), pp1995–2012. DOI:10.1007/s00170-015-7934-0
5. C.K. Nirala, P. Saha. A New Approach of Tool Wear Monitoring and Compensation in RµEDM Process. Materials and manufacturing processes, 2015,Vol. 31, pp483–494, DOI:10.1080/10426914.2015.1058950
6. C.K. Nirala, P. Saha. Towards development of a new online tool wear compensation strategy in µEDM-drilling. Journal of Engineering manufacturer, 2015, Volume: 231 issue: 4, pp 588-599, DOI: 10.1177/0954405415578578
7. C.K. Nirala, P. Saha. Feasibility of using modified VPP approach in prediction of real time volume estimator (VRT) in µEDM-drilling. International Journal of precession technology, 2014Vol. 4, Nos. ¾, pp162-175, DOI: 10.1504/IJPTECH.2014.067739
8. C.K. Nirala, G. Gupta, A. Agrawal, P. Saha. Development of a New Pulse Discriminating System for Micro Electro Discharge machining (µEDM). Applied Mechanics and Materials, 2014, Vol. 541-542, pp430-435, DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.541-542.430
9. C.K. Nirala, B. Reddy P. Saha. Optimization of Process Parameters in Micro Electro- Discharge Drilling [micro EDM-Drilling]: A Taguchi Approach. Advanced Materials Research, 2013 Vol. 622-623, pp30-34, DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.622-623.30
10. M Parihar, M Penugonda, V Nair, C K Nirala, Drilling and Milling μEDM – A Comprehensive and Comparative Evaluation, Procedia CIRP (Elsevier), Vol. 72, 2018, pp 1410-1414, DOI:10.1016/j.procir.2018.03.080.
11. D.R. Unune, C.K. Nirala, H.S. Mali. Low-frequency vibration assisted micro-electro discharge drilling of Inconel 718, Journal of Materials Processing Technology (Under Review)
12. C.K Nirala, S. Mandal.Modeling and Simulation of Semi-Active Jerk Driven Damper for Severe Speed Breaker.Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing, 2014, Vol. 345, pp. 267-276,DOI: 10.1007/978-81-322-2268-2_29
13. C.K. Nirala, P. Saha. Development of an online algorithm for pulses discrimination in micro -EDM using current and voltage sensors and their comparison. IEEE International Advance Computing Conference (IACC) June-2015, BMSCE Bangalore, India pp496-500.DOI: 10.1109/IADCC.2015.7154758
14. C.K. Nirala, P.Saha.Comparison of Process Mechanics in µEDM-drilling and RµEDM based on Online Monitoring of Discharge Gap Condition.AIMTDR Dec- 2014, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, India, pp-562 (1-7). DOI:10.13140/RG.2.1.3663.8560
15. C.K. Nirala, P.Saha. Towards the Development of a New Online Tool Wear Compensation Strategy in µEDM-Drilling. International Conference onPRECISION, MESO, MICRO AND NANO ENGINEERING (COPEN-8: 2013) December 13th -15th, 2013, National Institute of Technology Calicut, India. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.3139.5682
16. C.K. Nirala, R.P. Kumar, A New Comfort Oriented Semi-Active Suspension System with Jerk Driven Damper (JDD) Control. International Conferenceon Computational Methods in Manufacturing ICCMM October-2011, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, India,pp561-569.10.13140/RG.2.2.36087.42402
17. C.K. Nirala, G. Gupta, A. Agrawal, P. Saha. Development of a New Pulse Discriminating System for Micro Electro Discharge machining (µEDM).ICMMA-2014, Singapore. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.541-542.430
18. Y. Jain, S. Sharma, A. Agrawal, C.K. Nirala. Mechanical Micro-Drilling and Micro-EDM- drilling: - A Comprehensive and Comparative Evaluation. COPEN, 2017, to be held at IIT Madras in December 2017. (Accepted)
19. C.K. Nirala, P. Saha, Fabrication of Arrayed Micro Pins by Reversible Micro Electrical Discharge Machining (RµEDM) technique. 2ndResearch ScholarDay, Indian Institute of Technology Patna, India March 17, 2012, pp-16.
20. C.K. Nirala, P. Saha,Study of Micro Electrical Discharge Machining (µEDM ) Based on Current and Voltage Waveforms. 4thResearch ScholarDay, Indian Institute of Technology Patna, India, March 8, 2014, pp-21.
21. C.K. Nirala, P. Saha,Development of a New Pulse Discriminating (PD) System for micro-EDM Using Current and Voltage Signals. 3rdResearch Scholar Day, Indian Institute of Technology Patna, India, March 2, 2013, pp-18.
22. Kishore, H., Nadda, R., Nirala, C. K., Agrawal, A. Modelling and Simulation Based Surface Characterization of Reverse- µEDM Fabricated Micro Pin-fins, Procedia CIRP, 2019, Vol. 81, Pp. 1230-1235, ISSN 2212-8271, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2019.03.299.
23. Nadda R., Nirala C.K., Saha P. (2019) Tool Wear Compensation in Micro-EDM. In: Kibria G., Jahan M., Bhattacharyya B. (eds) Micro-electrical Discharge Machining Processes. Materials Forming, Machining and Tribology. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-3074-2_9
INVITED TALK/WORKSHOP ORGANISED
- Several expert lectures on topics like CNC, CAD, CAM, Advance manufacturing, 3D printing etc. during Jan. 2019 to Aug. 2019 at NITTTR Chandigarh.
- Keynote speaker in National Conference on “Future Dimensions in Mechanical Engineering” on 11th August 2018 at SKIT Jaipur
- Delivered expert lecture in the Advances in National Seminar on “Design & Manufacturing” (NSDM-17) on 28-29 September 2017 held at IET Bhaddal, Ropar, Punjab
- Delivered expert lecture in the Advances in Materials, Design, Systems and Manufacturing (ICMDSM - 2017) held at Jaipur Engineering College Kukas, Jaipur during 22-24 February 2017
- Organised a 3 Days’ workshop on PLC programming and SCADA held at The LNMIIT Jaipur during 01-03 April, 2017
- SPONSORED PROJECT
- Project Title: Development of a Thermal Model based Real-time Tool Wear Monitoring and Compensation System for Micro-EDM Processes (period: 2017-2020), file number: ECR/2017/000918/ES). Sponsoring agency: DST SERB, Gov. of India, Cost: INR 48,00,000
- Project Title: Research and Development in Ultrasonic Vibration Assisted Multiple Micro-Machining Processes. Funding Agency: ISIRD, IIT Ropar, Cost: INR 75,00,000