Dr. Navin Kumar is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at IIT Ropar. Prior to joining IIT Ropar, he was working as a Research Scientist at Stevens Institute of Technology, New Jersy, USA. He has completed masters in Mechanical Engineering from IIT Kharagpur and Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering) from IIT Delhi. Dr. Navin Kumar's research interests are related to both theoretical and experimental aspects of mechanics and dynamics of nano, biological and bio materials and structures, Bone Properties Characterization, Biomedical Engineering, Biomechanics, Biomedical Instrumentation, smart structures and materials, fault diagnosis and condition monitoring. In particular he is interested in the areas, Biomaterial Characterization. Experimental and simulation of nano and bio materials and structures, active vibration control and fault diagnosis.
Areas of Research
Vibration control, Noise control, Active vibration isolation in MEMS devices, Fault diagnostics and condition-monitoring.
Biomechanics, Finite element modeling, Biomedical Instrumentation and Bioimplants
Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, India
M.Tech. (Mechanical Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India
B.Tech (Hons) (Mechanical Engineering), Aligarh Muslim University, India
Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, December 2015- Present
Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, India, January 2010- December 2015
Research Scientist, Stevens Institute of Technology, New Jersey, USA, January 2007-December 2009
Engineer (Good Year Ltd) 1997-1998.
Administrative responsibilities /Services
·Member IIT Ropar Senate (2014-2018)
·HOD (March 2015 - May 2018)
·Coordinator (PG program) IIT Ropar (2014-2015)
·Faculty-In charge -Student Activity Centre (SAC) that consists of Institute Gymnasium, Music Club, Dance Club, Fine art club, IIT Ropar ( 2010-2015).
·Program officer- NCC, IIT Ropar, 2010-2018.
·Program officer- NSS, IIT Ropar, 2010-2018.
·Chairman, Institute Transport committee (2013-2014).
·Faculty member IIT Ropar student alumni association.
·Faculty advisor Institute student magazine (The Horizon).
·Member of several institute and departmental committees.
·Departmental representative in Research Program Evaluation Committee (RPEC) (2012-2014).
·Faculty adviser of Institute SIFE (Students in Free Enterprise) team.
Setup following laboratory in IIT Ropar independently
·Control laboratory (UG Lab)
·Machine Design laboratory (UG Lab)
·Noise and Vibration laboratory (UG and Research Lab)
·Bio and Nano Mechanical Characterization laboratory (Research Lab)
·Biomedical Engineering Laboratory (UG and Research Lab)
USA: Stevens Institute of Technology NJ, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI
UK: Durham University, University of Aston, University of Glasgow
1. A. Kumar, N. Kumar, R. Das, P. Lakhani, B. Bhushan, In vivo structural dynamic analysis of the dragonfly wing: The effect of stigma as its modulator" (accepted ) Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A.
2. P. Sihota , R Yadav , V. Dhiman , S. Bhadada , V. Mehandia, N. Kumar, Investigation of diabetic patient’s fingernail quality to monitor type 2 diabetes induced tissue damage, Scientific Reports (Nature), Scientific Reports, 9, Article number: 3193 (2019), (Impact factor 4.122)
3. Karan Saini, Dennis Discher and Navin Kumar, Static and Time-dependent Mechanical Response of Organic Matrix of Bone, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, Volume 91, 2019, Pages 315-325 (Impact Factor 3.23)
4. J. Jyoti, A. Kumar, P. Lakhani, N. Kumar, B. Bhushan, Structural properties and their influence on the prey retention in the Spider web, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, 377: 20180271, 2018 (DOI 10.1098/rsta.2018.0271.)
5. R. Das, R. N. Yadav, P. Sihota, P. Uniyal, N. Kumar and B. Bhushan, Biomechanical Evaluation of Wasp and Honeybee Stingers, Scientific Reports (Nature),14945, 2018 (Impact factor 4.122)
6. J. P. Yadav, B. Yadav, N. Kumar, A. K. Bansal, and S. Jain, Revealing the role of structural features in bulk mechanical performance of ternary molecular solids of Isoniazid, ACS Molecular Pharmaceutics, accepted, (impact factor 4.556)
7. G. Sapra, P. Kumar, N. Kumar, R. Vig, M. Sharma, "Effect of processing conditions on the electrical resistance of MWCNT/epoxy nanocomposite based strain sensors Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 2018, (Accepted)
8. A. S. Minha, S.Singh, J. Malhotra, N. Kumar, Machine deterioration identification for multiple nature of faults based on autoregressive-approximate entropy approach, Life Cycle Reliability and Safety Engineering, 2018, (accepted)
9. Dev Gurera, Bharat Bhushan, Navin Kumar, Lessons from Mosquitoes’ Painless Piercing, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials,Volume 84, 2018, Pages 178-187 (Impact Factor 3.23)
10. Abhishek Tiwari and Navin Kumar, Establishing the Relationship between Loading Parameters and Bone Adaptation, Medical Engineering & Physics, Volume 56, June 2018, Pages 16-26 (Impact factor 1.92)
11. S. A. Bansal, A. P. Singh, A. Kumar, S. Kumar, Navin Kumar, J. K. Goswamy, Improved mechanical performance of bisphenol-A graphene-oxide nano-composites, Journal of Composite Materials, 2017
12. Yadav, J Prakash; Khomane, K; Modi, S.; Ugale, B; Yadav, R N; Nagaraja, C. M.; Kumar, Navin; Bansal, A, Correlating single crystal structure, nano-mechanical and bulk compaction behavior of Febuxostat polymorphs", Molecular Pharmaceutics, ACS, 2017, Mar 6;14(3): 866-874 (impact factor 4.556
13. P. Jindal, R N Yadav, Navin Kumar, Dynamic mechanical characterisation of PC/MWCNT composites under variable temperature conditions, Iran Polym J. June 2017, Volume 26, Issue 6, pp 445–452
14. Sukhjeet Singh and Navin Kumar, Detection of Bearing Faults in Mechanical Systems using Stator Current Monitoring, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INDUSTRIAL INFORMATICS, Volume: 13, Issue: 3, June 2017, (Impact factor 6.76)
15. T. Jaina, Sneha S., S. R. Modi, B. Ugale, R. N. Yadav, Navin Kumar, C.M. Nagaraja, A. K. Bansal, Effect of differential surface anisotropy on performance of two plate shaped crystals of aspirin form, European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vol. 99, 2017, 318–327 impact factor 3.77
16. R. Das, A. Kumar, Anurag Patel, Sahil Vijay, Shashank Saurabh, Navin Kumar Biomechanical characterization of spider webs, Journal of the mechanical behavior of biomedical materials, vol 67, 2017, 101–109, (Impact Factor 3.23)
17. S. Sharma, R. Chandra, P. Kumar, N. Kumar, Mechanical Properties of Carbon Nanofiber Reinforced Polymer Composites-Molecular Dynamics Approach, The Journal of The Minerals, Metals & Materials, June 2016, Volume 68, Issue 6, pp 1717–1727 ,
18. B. K. Sarabi, M. Sharma, D. Kaur, N. Kuma, A novel technique for generating desired vibrations in structure, Integrated Ferroelectrics, 2016, 176:1, 236-250
19. S. Sharma, R. Chandra, P Kumar, N Kumar, Molecular Dynamics Simulation of Functionalized SWCNT/Polymer Composites, Journal of Composite Materials, 2016, DOI: 10.1177/0021998316628973
20. S. Sharma, R. Chandra, P Kumar, N Kumar, Molecular dynamics simulation of polymer/carbon nanotube composites, Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, Volume 28, Issue 4, August 2015, Pages 409–418
21. S. Sharma, R. Vig and N. Kumar,Temperature compensation in a smart structure by application of DC bias on piezoelectric patches, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 2016, Volume: 27 issue: 18, page(s): 2524-2535 (impact factor 2.219
22. S. Sharma, R. Vig and N. Kumar, Effect of Electric Field and Temperature on Dielectric Constant and Piezoelectric Coefficient of Piezoelectric Materials: A Review, Integrated Ferroelectrics: An International Journal, Volume 167, Issue 1, 2015
23. S. Sharma, R. Vig and N. Kumar, Finite element modelling of smart piezo structure: considering dependence of piezoelectric coefficients on electric field, , Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines, 2015 (accepted)
24. S. Sharma, R. Vig and N. Kumar, Active vibration control: considering effect of electric field on coefficients of PZT patches, Smart Structures and System, Vol 16, No 6, 2015.
24. S Sharma, R. Chandra, P Kumar, N Kumar, Molecular Level Analysis of Carbon Nanofiber Reinforced Polymer Composites, Journal of Composite Materials, 2015, Volume: 50 issue: 13, page(s): 1787-1804 (impact factor 1.61)
26. P.S. Brown, E.L. Talbot, T.J. Wood, M.J. Egan, J.J. Wu, K. Saini, N. Kumar, C.D. Bain, J.P.S. Badyal, Controlling Picolitre Droplet Impact Dynamics by Tailoring the Solid Subsurface, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, Volume 481, 20 September 2015, Pages 215–221. 2015 (Impact Factor 2.82)
27. S. Sharma, R. Chandra, P Kumar, N Kumar, Thermo-mechanical characterization of multi-walled carbon nanotube reinforced poly-carbonate composites: Molecular dynamics approach, Comptes rendus Mecanique, Volume 343, Issues 5–6, May–June 2015, Pages 371–396.
28. Karan Saini and Navin Kumar, Mechanical Response of Collagen Molecule under Hydrostatic Compression, Materials Science and Engineering C, Volume 49, 2015, Pages 720–726 (Elsevier Journal, Impact Factor 5.086
29. A K Tiwari, A R Patel, N Kumar, Investigation of strain rate on residual stress distribution, Materials and Design 65, 2015, 1041-1047 (Elsevier Journal, Impact factor 4.523
30. K. Saini and N. Kumar, Effect of Surface Crack and its Size on Mechanical Characteristics of Gold Nano-wires, Procedia Materials Science, Volume 6, 2014, Pages 161–170
31. S. Singh and N. Kumar, Combined Rotor fault diagnosis in rotating machinery using Empirical Mode Decomposition, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 2014, Volume 28, Issue 12, pp 4869-4879
32. S. Singh and N. Kumar, Rotor faults diagnosis using Artificial Neural Networks and Support Vector Machines, International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration, Vol. 20, No. 3, 203
33. S. Singh, A. Kumar, N. Kumar, Motor Current Signature Analysis for Bearing Fault Detection in Mechanical Systems. Procedia Materials Science, Volume 6, 2014, Pages 171–177
34. S. Sharma, R. Chandra, P Kumar, N Kumar, Effect of Stone–Wales and vacancy defects on elastic moduli of carbon 4 nanotubes and their composites using molecular dynamics simulation, 2014, Computational Materials Science, Volume 86, 15 April 2014, Pages 1–8 (Elsevier Journal, Impact factor, 2.53)
35. K. Saini and N. Kumar, Torsional Deformation Behavior of Cracked Gold Nano-wires, Acta Mechanica, March 2014, Volume 225, Issue 3, pp 687-700 (Impact factor 2.13)
36. P. Jindal, M. Goyal and N. Kumar, “Modeling Composites of Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes in Polycarbonate,” International Journal for Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics 14:542–551, 2013
37. P. Jindal, M.Goyal and N.Kumar, Mechanical characterization of multiwalled carbon nanotubes-polycarbonate composites, Materials and Design Volume 54,Pages 864–868, 2014 (Elsevier Journal, Impact factor, 4.52)
38. Navin Kumar and S. P. Singh, Vibration Control of Curved Panel Using Smart Damping Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 30, July 2012, Pages 232–247 (Elsevier Journal, Impact factor, 4.37
39. Navin Kumar and Kishore Pochiraju, Dynamics of Virial Stress in Gold Lattic after Crack Initiation, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers,Vol.226 Part C: J. Mechanical Engineerting Science Page: 358-366
40. Navin Kumar and S. P. Singh, Experimental Study on Vibration and Damping of Curved Panel Treated with Constrained Viscoelastic Layer, Composite Structures, 2010, 92, 233–243. (Elsevier Journal, Impact factor, 4.10).
41. Navin Kumar and S. P. Singh, Vibration and damping characteristics of beams with active constrained layer treatments under parametric variations, Materials and Design, 2009, 30, 4162–4174 (Elsevier Journal, Impact factor, 4.52).
42. Navin Kumar, Sanjay Meena, S. P. Singh and B. C. Nakra, Vibration control of plate with partially covered active constrained layer damping, 2009, Advances in Vibration Engineering, 4 vol. 8, 327-338.