I was born in Calcutta (Kolkata) in May, 1990 and brought up in the satellite town of Howrah. I was schooled at the Don Bosco High and Technical School, Liluah, which I attended from 1995-2008.
I then spent 4 years 2008-2012 at the National Institute of Technology Durgapur and completed a B.Tech in Mechnical Engineering. Next, I spent 2012-2015 at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras an completed MS-PhD in Thermofluids Engineering through a dual degree program.
I was an Institute Pre-doctoral fellow at Indian Institute of Technology Madras from September 2015 - February 2016. From February 2016 - June 2016 I was affiliated as a Visitng Faculty at the Indian Institute of Technology Ropar.
Since June 2016, I am affiliated to the Indian Institute of Technology Ropar as an Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering.
I maintain a site (hosted through Google) where more details can be found regarding the research and allied activities that we do at IIT Ropar. The link has been provided at the end of this page under the heading Labs/Links.
Areas of Research
Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine
M.S.-Ph.D. (Dual Degree) (Thermal and Fluid Sciences) - Indian Institute of Technology Madras (Feb 2016)
B.Tech. (Mechanical Engineering) - National Institute of Technology Durgapur (July 2012)
Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, June 2016 - present
Visiting Faculty, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, Feb 2016 - May 2016
1. Purbarun Dhar, Ajay Katiyar, Sarit K Das and Arvind Pattamatta, Graphene nanoflakes based polymeric pastes/gels for mega-electroviscous utilities, 1946/CHE/2015, (RFE filed at the Indian Patent Office)
2.Purbarun Dhar, Concept of electric field modulated enhanced heat transfer in nanofluids and proof thereof, (under process at patent attorney) (2017)
3. Purbarun Dhar, Enhancing AC and DC insulation strength of transformer oils by dispersing graphene and CNT, (under process at patent attorney) (2017).
4. Purbarun Dhar, Magnetorheology in nanoscale graphene based colloidal gels, (under process at patent attorney) (2017).
***** Research articles/papers (published) :-
1. Purbarun Dhar, Soujit Sengupta, Saikat Chakraborty, Arvind Pattamatta and Sarit K. Das, The Role of Percolation and Sheet Dynamics during Heat Conduction in Polydispersed Graphene Nanofluids, Applied Physics Letters, 102, 163114 (2013).
2. Purbarun Dhar, Mohammad Hasan Dad Ansari, Soujit Sen Gupta, V. Manoj Siva, T. Pradeep, Arvind Pattamatta and Sarit K. Das, Percolation network dynamicity and sheet dynamics governed viscous behavior of polydispersed graphene nanosheet suspension, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 15, 2095 (2013).
3. Soumya Bhattacharya, Purbarun Dhar, Sarit K. Das, Ranjan Ganguly, Thomas J. Webster and Suprabha Nayar, Colloidal graphite/graphene nanostructures using collagen showing enhanced thermal conductivity, International Journal of Nanomedicine, 9, 1287–1298 (2014)
4. Purbarun Dhar, Arvind Pattamatta and Sarit K. Das, Trimodal charge transport in polar liquid-based dilute nanoparticulate colloidal dispersions, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 16, 2644, (2014).
5. Ajay Katiyar, Purbarun Dhar, Sarit K Das and T. Nandi, Near-field magnetostatics and Neel–Brownian interactions mediated magnetorheological characteristics of highly stable nano–ferrocolloids, Soft Matter, 11, 1614, (2015).
6. Purbarun Dhar, Soumya Bhattacharya, Suprabha Nayar and Sarit K. Das, Anomalously Augmented Charge Transport Capabilities of Collagen Intercalated Graphene Based Bio-nanocolloids, Langmuir, 31, 3696–3706, (2015).
7. Purbarun Dhar, Soujit Sengupta, Arvind Pattamatta and Sarit K. Das, Bridging thermal and electrical transport in dielectric nanocolloids, IEEE Trans. Nanotechnology, 14(5), 889, (2015)
8. Purbarun Dhar, Ajay Katiyar, Lakshmi Sirisha Maganti, Arvind Pattamatta and Sarit K Das, Superior dielectric breakdown strength of graphene and carbon nanotube infused nano–oils, IEEE Trans Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation (in press) (2016) (arXiv preprint arXiv:1511.04540)
9. Savithiri S., Purbarun Dhar, Arvind Pattamatta and Sarit K. Das, Particle–fluid interactivity governed buoyancy driven thermal transport in nano -suspensions: A multi component lattice Boltzmann formulation, (arXiv preprint arXiv:1511.04552), Numerical Heat Transfer A (2016)
10. Kalpana Sarojini, Purbarun Dhar, Sarit K Das and Susy Varughese, Coalescence dynamics of PEDOT:PSS droplets impacting at offset on substrates for inkjet printing, Langmuir (2016)
11. Ajay Katiyar, Purbarun Dhar, T Nandi and Sarit K Das, Enhanced heat conduction characteristics of Fe, Ni and Co nanofluids influenced by magnetic field, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Sciences (2016)
12. Ajay Katiyar, Purbarun Dhar, Sarit K Das and T Nandi, Magnetic field induced enhanced thermal conduction in magneto-nanocolloids, arXiv preprint arXiv:1511.04560, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials (2016)
13. Lakshmi Sirisha Maganti, Purbarun Dhar, T. Sundararajan and Sarit K Das, Concentration and thermo-hydraulic maldistribution of nanofluids in parallel microchannel systems, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics) (2016)
14. Purbarun Dhar, Anup Paul, Arunn Narasimhan and Sarit K Das, Predicting sub–surface thermal history in translucent tissue phantoms during plasmonic photo–thermotherapy, arXiv preprint arXiv:1511.04549, Journal of Thermal Biology (2016)
15. Ajay Katiyar, Purbarun Dhar, T Nandi and Sarit K Das, Effects of nanostructure permittivity and dimensions on the increased dielectric strength of nano–insulating liquids, Colloids and Surfaces A (2016)
16. Ajay Katiyar, Purbarun Dhar, T Nandi, Lakshmi Sirisha Maganti and Sarit K Das, Enhanced dielectric breakdown performance of anatase and rutile titania based nano-oils, arXiv preprint arXiv: 1511.09017, IEEE Trans. Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation (2016)
17. Purbarun Dhar, Ajay Katiyar, Arvind Pattamatta and Sarit K Das, Large electrorheological response of graphene nano–gels, Nanotechnology (2016)
18. Lakshmi Sirisha Maganti, Purbarun Dhar, T Sundararajan and Sarit K Das, Thermally smart characteristics of nanofluids in parallel micro-channel systems for mitigating hot spots in MEMS, IEEE Trans. Components, Packaging and Manufacturing (2016)
19. Purbarun Dhar, Ajay Katiyar, Lakshmi Sirisha Maganti, Smart viscoelastic and self healing characteristics of graphene nanogels, Journal of Applied Physics, 2016.
20. Karthik M, Purbarun Dhar, Role and significance of wetting pressures during droplet impact on structured superhydrophobic surfaces, European Physical Journal E, 2016
21. Lakshmi Sirisha Maganti and Purbarun Dhar, Consequences of flow configuration and nanofluid transport on entropy generation in parallel microchannel cooling systems, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 109, 555–563, (2017)
22. Nithya M, Purbarun Dhar, T Panda and SK Das, Interplay of chemical and thermal gradient on bacterial migration in a diffusive microfluidic device, Biomicrofluidics (2017).
23. Harikrishnan A R, Purbarun Dhar, P K Agnihotri, Sateesh G and SK Das, Effects of interplay of nanoparticles, surfactants and base fluid on the surface tension of nanocolloids, European Physical Journal E (2017).
24. Lakshmi Sirisha Maganti, Purbarun Dhar, T Sundararajan and SK Das, Selecting optimal parallel microchannel configuration(s) for active hot spot mitigation of realistic multicore microprocessors, Transactions of the ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, (2017)
25. Lakshmi Sirisha Maganti, Purbarun Dhar, T Sundararajan and SK Das, Heat spreader with parallel microchannel configurations for near-active cooling of MEMS, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, (2017).
26. Ajay Katiyar, Purbarun Dhar, T Nandi, and SK Das, Magnetoviscoelastic characteristics of superparamagnetic oxides (Fe, Ni) based ferrofluids, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, (2017).
27. Ajay Katiyar, Purbarun Dhar, T Nandi, and SK Das, Role of fibrillation on the magnetorheological and viscoelastic effects in Fe, Ni and Co nanocolloids, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, (2017).
28. Nilamani Sahoo, Arunn Narasimhan, Purbarun Dhar and Sarit Kumar Das, Non–Fourier thermal transport induced structural hierarchy and damage to collagen phantoms subjected to laser irradiation, International Journal of Hyperthermia, (2017).
29. Ajay Katiyar, AR Harikrishnan and Purbarun Dhar, Influence of temperature, concentration and proton content on the effective pH of nanofluids, Colloid and Polymer Science (2017)
30. Harikrishnan A R, Purbarun Dhar, PK Agnihotri, Sateesh G and SK Das, Wettability of complex fluids and surfactant capped nanoparticle induced quasi-universal wetting behaviour, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, (2017)
***** Research articles/papers (under review) :-
31. Purbarun Dhar and Lakshmi Sirisha, Semi-analytical formulation for predicting thermo-history during magnetic hyperthermia of interior carcinoma, (under review)
32. Purbarun Dhar, Ajay Katiyar, Arvind Pattamatta and Sarit K Das, Anomalous room temperature magnetorheological behavior of graphene nanogels, (under review)
33. A R Harikrishnan, SK Das, PK Agnihotri and Purbarun Dhar, Particle and Surfactant Modulated Polar and Dispersive Components of Interfacial Energies in Nanocolloids, (under review)
34. Lakshmi Sirisha, Purbarun Dhar, T Sundararajan and SK Das, Mitigating Non Uniform Heat Generation Induced Hot Spot(s) in Multicore Processors Using Nanofluids in Parallel Microchannels, (under review)
35. Vivek Jaiswal, Lakshmi Sirisha Maganti, Sarit K Das and Purbarun Dhar, Review of 2 phase flows in parallel microchannel systems, (under review)
36. Nimit Shah, Purbarun Dhar, Martin Geier and Arvind Pattamatta, A Cascaded Collision Lattice Boltzmann Model for modelling heat and fluid transport through porous media, (under review)
37. M Aravinthan, S Sarkar, Purbarun Dhar, SK Das and A R Balakrishnan, Superhydrophobicity induced enhanced flow boiling heat transfer in minitubes, (under review)
38. Purbarun Dhar, Lakshmi Sirisha Maganti, A R Harikrishnan and Chandan Rajput, Enhancing thermal conduction calibre of nanocolloids employing induced electrophoresis, manuscript under preparation. (under review)
39. Purbarun Dhar, Ankur Chattopadhyay, Lakshmi Sirisha Maganti and AR Harikrishnan, Streamer growth arrest induced amplified AC breakdown strength of graphene and CNT colloids, (under review)
40. A R Harikrishnan, Purbarun Dhar, Diffusion guided contact line spreading dynamics of surfactant infused sessile nanocolloidal droplets, (under review)