Research areas of Biomedical Engineering:
1. Medical Image Processing & Analysis.
2. Physics, Biophotonics
3. Medical Software and App Development, Technology Interventions in Neurology.
4. Molecular Biology of Cancer.
5. Obesity induced Type-2 diabetes; Tumor heterogeneity and therapeutics.
6. Biomaterials, Tissue Engineering.
7. Bone and Soft Tissue, Biomechanics.
8. Bioheat Transfer, Minimally invasive thermal therapies.
9. Molecular Recognition with Peptide Molecules.
1. A master's degree in engineering (ME / MTech) or medicine (MD) or pharmaceutical sciences (MPharm) or veterinary science (MVSc) or dental surgery (MDS), with a minimum of 60 percent marks (6.5 grade points on a scale of 10). Relaxation for SC/ST candidates as per GOI rules
2. A master's degree in sciences (MSc / MS) or equivalent, with a minimum of 60 percent marks (6.5 grade points on a scale of 10). A valid GATE score or qualified in UGC/CSIR/NET/INSPIRE fellowship, or equivalent. Relaxation for SC/ST candidates as per GOI rules
3. A bachelor's degree in engineering (BE /BTech) or pharmacy (BPharm), with a minimum of 65 percent marks (7.0 grade points on a scale of 10) and a valid GATE score. A bachelor's degree from an IIT with a minimum of 8 grade points on a scale of 10 points without GATE. Relaxation for SC/ST candidates as per GOI rules
4. A MBBS, BVSc, or BDS, with a minimum of 65 percent marks (7.0 grade points on a scale of 10). Relaxation for SC/ST candidates as per GOI rules.
Research areas of Chemical Engineering:
1.Catalysis and Reaction Engineering
2. Polymers, Nanomaterials and Water Treatment
3. Interfacial Engineering and Multiphase Flows
4. Soft Matter Engineering and Complex Fluids, Biorheology & Biomedical.
5. Mechanics of Granular Materials and Living Matter
6. Computational Design of Materials, Molecular Dynamics, Process Systems Engineering, Energy and Environment
The following is Eligibility Criteria of Chemical Engineering department for PhD admission)
PhD Regular/ External/ Part-time:
Master's degree in Chemical/ Biochemical/ Petroleum/ Petrochemical/ Nanotechnology /Polymer or Bio-Polymer Engineering or Technology or a Master's degree by Research in Chemical/ Biochemical/ Petroleum/ Petrochemical/ Nanotechnology/Polymer or Bio-Polymer Engineering or Technology. Candidates must have obtained at least 60% marks (or 6.5 CGPA) (55% marks or 6.0 CGPA for SC/ST) in their Master's.
Candidates with a Master's degree in Physics/Mathematics/Chemistry with a good academic record and of exceptional merit are eligible. Candidates must have a valid GATE / UGC/CSIR-NET or equivalent qualification / DST-INSPIRE (PhD) or any other national fellowship in the relevant area tenable for the year of registration. Candidates with 2 Year M.Sc. in Physics/Mathematics/Chemistry from any centrally funded technical institute (CFTI) (entry through JAM) with 8.0 and above CGPA are exempted from qualifying in National Level Examinations. In addition to the aforementioned criteria, the candidate’s research interest should be in sync with the research areas of the department.
***In the case of PhD External/Part-time, the candidate possessing a Master's degree in Physics/Mathematics/Chemistry should have relevant experience with Chemical Engineering either in academia, research or industry. The candidate’s research interest should be in sync with the research areas of the department.
Exceptional candidates having B.Tech/B.E Chemical/ Biochemical/ Petroleum/ petrochemical/ Polymer Engineering or Technology /Food Engineering or Technology qualification with valid GATE score can apply for direct admission to PhD program.
A candidate with a Bachelor’s degree (Chemical/ Biochemical/ Petroleum/ Petrochemical/ Polymer Engineering or Technology /Food Engineering or Technology) from any centrally funded technical institute (CFTI) and having a CGPA/CPI score of 8.00 (out of 10.0) and above are exempted from requirement of GATE qualification to apply.
Research areas of Civil Engineering:
a. Durability Assessment of Concrete Structures.
b. Corrosion Deterioration and Retrofitting of RC Structures.
a)Dynamic properties of geomaterials
3.Hydraulics and Water Resources Engineering
a) Groundwater Engineering, Flow and transport in porous media, Groundwater recharge estimation, Aquifer heterogeneity characterization
b) Surface Water Hydrology, Climate change
c) Remote Sensing in Water Resources.
4. Environmental Engineering
a) Air pollution and its effect on infrastructure
b) Characterization of air pollutants released from indoor environment
c) Effect of carbon particle on glacier region
5. Transportation Engineering
a) Sustainable transportation planning
b) Travel behavior analysis
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering followed by a Master’s degree in an appropriate area with consistently good academic background.
Computer Science and Engineering
Research areas of Computer Science and Engineering:
1. IoT and Wireless networks
2. Machine Learning, Game Theory
3. Reinforcement Learning, Artificial Intelligence,
4. Software and its engineering
5. 5G, Cellular Network, Cellular networks,
6. Computer architecture
7. Data sciences
8. Computer vision, deep learning, image processing
9. Theoretical Computer Science
M.Tech./M.E/M.S. (or an equivalent qualification) in computer science and engineering (or related areas) with 60% marks (or 6.5 grade point out of 10) (55% marks for SC/ST).
Exceptional candidates with B. Tech/B.E degree in computer science and engineering or related area with valid GATE score.
* Candidate with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and engineering or related field from any IIT with minimum 8.00 CGPA/CPI out of 10.0 are exempted from requirement of GATE qualification.
** Candidates who are currently studying in final year of their B.Tech/BE program should apply under Direct PhD program (as per Direct PhD norms).
1. Microelectronics and VLSI Design
- Analog, digital, mixed-signal, RF and broadband integrated circuit design
- Electronic packaging
- Semiconductor devices and reliability
- Spintronic devices
2. Signal Processing and Communications
❖ Signal, Image and Video Processing
❖ Wireless Communication and Networks; Internet of Things; Artificial Intelligence in Communication; UAV communication systems and networks; Intelligent Transportation Systems
❖ Antennas for Smart RF and millimeter-wave systems, Wireless Power Transmission
Project funded PhD:
❖ Enabling Distributed Beamforming via Machine Learning for Energy Efficient Communications
3. Power Engineering
➢ Renewable Energy integration
➢ High Voltage Engineering; Nano-dielectrics
➢ Smart and Micro-grids;
➢ Power System Dynamics and Control
➢ Power Electronics, Electric Machines and Drives
➢ Electric Vehicle Technologies
Power System Optimization
- M.Tech/M.E./M.S. in Electrical / Power system Power electronics / Electric drives/ Electric vehicle technologies / Electronics/ Communications/ Computer Science/ Instrumentation / Control Engineering or equivalent or Microelectronics/Solid-state Technology/MEMS/Nano Science/Nano Technology/Material Science/Engineering Physics or equivalent, relevant to the area of research with minimum 60% of marks (OR 6.5 grade point out of 10) (55% marks OR 6.0 grade point for SC/ST).
- Candidates having B.Tech/B.E/M.Sc. qualification in Electrical / Electronics / Communications / Computer Science / Instrumentation / Control Engineering or equivalent or Microelectronics/Solid-state Technology / MEMS / Nano Science / Nano Technology / Material Science / Engineering Physics or equivalent, and having a CGPA/CPI score of 8.00 (out of 10.0) and above with valid GATE score can apply for admission to PhD programme.
A candidate with a Bachelor's degree from any IIT and having a CGPA/CPI score of 8.00 (out of 10.0) and above can apply for admission to PhD programmes. Such candidates are exempted from the requirement of GATE qualification.
1). Mechanics & Design (MD)
Mechanics of Materials, Robot design and analysis, Control strategies for Reconfigurable robots, Computational Mechanics, Biomechanics, Mechatronics, Robotics and Control, Deep learning for physical systems, Vibration, Biomechanics, Acoustics fault diagnosis and condition monitoring, Multifunctional aerospace composites, Damage sensing, Fracture and damage mechanics, Multiscale modeling of composite, Micromechanics of Functionally graded material, Fluid structure interaction in flapping wing.
Research Titles under Project fundings:
1. Additive Manufacturing & Machine Learning based Development of Indigenous Hydrogen Fuel
2. High deformation, Bone mechanics
3. Development of a localized gradient damage based extended-FE model for fatigue analysis of aircraft components
2). Manufacturing Engineering (MF)
Analytical and Numerical Modelling of Metal forming processes; Robo-asissted forming process development; Additive Manufacturing Process for FGM fabrication; Metal additive process' analytical modelling, Product development, Design research, Manufacturing processes, Fatigue and fracture, Constitutive modeling.
Research Titles under Project fundings:
1. Agriculture and water hub
3). Thermal & Fluids Engineering (TF)
Experimental and numerical investigations in interfacial phenomena, Surface micro and nano texturing, Wettability, Microfluidics, Thermal management, Drop impact dynamics-experiment/ simulation, Liquid jets, Aerodynamics, Heat Transfer applications, Solar Energy, Water Desalination, Combustion dynamics and control, Nonlinear time series analysis, Spray dynamic, Geophysical flows, Flow of suspensions, Bioheat Transfer, Applied Thermal Engg.
Heat and Mass Transfer, Solar Energy, Wind Energy.
Note: The cut off for shortlisting/merit list may be different based on the number of applications received and the availability of seats in the respective research areas.
1) Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering/Technology or related discipline or a Master's degree by Research in Mechanical Engineering/Technology or related discipline. Candidates must have obtained at least 60% marks or 6.5 CGPA out of 10 in their Master's. For admission under project fellowship (DST) GATE qualification is required.
2) Master's degree in Sciences with a valid score in GATE/UGC/ CSIR/NET/NBHM or equivalent qualification. Candidates must have obtained at least 65% marks or 7 CGPA out of 10 in their Master's.
3) Exceptional candidates having B.Tech/B.E degree with at least 65% marks or 7 CGPA out of 10 and valid GATE score can apply for PhD programmes. The candidates who are in the final year (seventh semester) of their B.Tech/BE program should apply under Direct PhD program (as per Direct PhD norms).
A candidate with a Bachelor's degree from any IIT and having a CGPA score of 8.00 out of 10 and above are exempted from requirement of GATE to apply.
The relaxation in eligibility and reservation for SC/ST/OBC/PwD will be as per the rules of Govt. of India.
Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
Research areas of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering:
For regular candidate (under Institute fellowship)Research Areas:
1. Atomistic Modelling of materials
2. Creep and fatigue resistant materials
3. Development of Advanced High Strength Steels
4. Fracture mechanics desirable experience in Abaqus/FE
5. Machine Learning and Materials Informatics
6. Mathematical/Phase-Field modeling of Phase Transformations
7. Physical and mathematical modeling of multiphase flow in different reactors/vessels of steel plant
8. Recycling of steel plant solid waste through hydrometallurgical routes, electrometallurgy
For regular candidate (under Sponsored fellowship) and for ERP, Part-time, Internal project staff and PhD for staff of IIT Ropar Research Areas:
1. Physical Metallurgy
2. Mechanical Metallurgy
3. Materials Processing
4. Modeling of Steelmaking Processes
5. Computational Materials Engineering
6. Functional Materials: Biomaterials and Bio-inspired Materials, Energy Materials, Magnetic Nanocomposites, Nano Materials, Polymers and Ceramic Materials
7. Device Design and Nano Technology
Or any allied area
Master's degree in relevant Engineering/Technology or a Master's degree by Research in relevant Engineering/Technology. Candidates must have obtained at least 60% marks (or 6.5 Grade Point out of 10) in their Master's; 55% marks or 6.0 CGPA for SC/ST.
Exceptional candidates with B.Tech./B.E. degree in relevant Engineering/Technology or Master's degree in Sciences with a minimum CGPA/CPI score of 8.00 (out of 10.0) or 75% marks with a valid score in GATE/UGC/CSIR/NET or other equivalent national exam. A candidate with a Bachelor's degree from any IIT and having a CGPA/CPI score of 8.00 (out of 10.0) or above are exempted from requirement of GATE qualification to apply.
* Candidates who are currently studying in final year of their B.Tech/B.E. program should apply under Direct PhD program
PhD In Sciences
Research areas of Chemistry:
1. Theoretical and computational chemistry
2. Sensors and supramolecular Synthesis
3. Synthetic organic chemistry
4. Nanomaterials, Batteries and Fuel cells
5. Statistical mechanics (Theory and computation)
6. Peptide chemical biology and medicinal chemistry
7. Catalysis and Materials Synthesis
8. Magnetic Resonance: Theory and Experiments
10. Inorganic, organometallic chemistry
11. Organic electronic materials/Diradicals
12. Polymer chemistry
Masters or equivalent degree in Chemistry/Biochemistry/ Materials Science and Technology/Pharmaceutical Sciences/Biotechnology/Physics or relevant areas with First Class (6.5 grades point out of 10) or 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST).
Candidates meeting this requirement must also fulfill one of the following additional requirements with valid
a) GATE Qualification
b) UGC/CSIR-NET or Equivalent qualification.
c) DST-INSPIRE or other national fellowship
Candidates with M. Tech or equivalent with First Class (6.5 grades point out of 10) or 60% marks are exempted from requirement of GATE qualification
Research areas of Mathematics:
1. Probability and Statistics
2. Data Science
3. Mathematical Modelling
4. Water Wave Theory
5. Functional Analysis
6. Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations
Master’s Degree in Mathematics/Statistics/Theoretical Computer Science or equivalent Master’s Degree with First Class (60% marks or 6.5 grades point out of 10 ), 55% marks or 6.0 grades point out of 10 for SC/ST.
Candidates meeting this requirement must also fulfill one of the following additional requirements with valid:
a) GATE Qualification
b) UGC-NET-JRF/CSIR-NET-JRF qualified or NBHM or equivalent qualification.
Candidates with M. Tech or equivalent with First Class (6.5 grades point out of 10) or 60% marks are exempted from requirement of GATE qualification.
Research areas of Physics:
1. Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
2. Quantum Field Theory and Black Holes
3. Experimental Nuclear Physics
4. Lasers and Quantum Photonics
Master's or equivalent degree in Physics or relevant subject / B. Tech. in Engineering Physics with First Class (6.5 grades point out of 10) or 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST) or MTech in relevant areas
Candidates meeting above requirement must also fulfill one of the following qualification with valid certificate:
b) UGC/CSIR-NET(JRF) or equivalent qualification
c) DST-INSPIRE Fellowship
PhD in Humanities and Social Sciences
Research areas in Humanities and Social Sciences:
1. English Literature (Historiographic metafiction; Psychoanalysis and Popular Culture)
2. Economics (Macro Economics)
3. Linguistics (Sentence Processing, Language Comprehension)
4. Philosophy (Philosophy of science, Philosophy of technology)
5. Psychology* (Applied Psychology: Counselling/Cognitive)
*Only JRF-qualified or candidates with any other sponsored fellowship should apply
Master's or equivalent degree in relevant discipline (English/Economics/Linguistics/Philosophy/Psychology)with 55% marks or 6.0 grade point out of 10 (relaxation for SC/ST candidates as per GOI rules)
Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in Engineering from any of the IITs/NITs or any other ‘Institute of National Importance’ with minimum of 55% marks or 6 grade points out of 10 (relaxation for SC/ST candidates as per GOI rules)
Candidates meeting one of these requirements must also fulfil one of the following additional requirements:
a) UGC/CSIR- NET or GATE or equivalent qualification
b) DST-INSPIRE Fellowship
*For PhD in Psychology, candidates shouldhave qualified for sponsored fellowship from funding agencies like UGC, ICSSR, ICMR etc.
Candidates with Bachelor’s in Engineering/Technology from any of the IITs and having CGPA/CPI Score of 8 (out of 10) are exempted from GATE requirement.