Dr. Prabir Sarkar
Main Campus, Satish Dhawan Block, Birla Farms,
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Prabir Sarkar is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology Ropar. He is also the Chairman of the Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) cell of the Institute. Before joining IIT Ropar, he was working as an Associate Researcher at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), U.S. Department of Commerce Gaithersburg, USA.
He completed his PhD from the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore in Design Creativity. He did his Master of Design also from IISc on Product Design and Engineering. He worked for Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) in the Research and Development division after completing his masters.
Dr. Sarkar’s research interests include product design, sustainability, creativity, and design research. He is interested in developing new methods and tools for helping designers and companies to design novel, useful, and sustainable products. He has authored more than 80 peer-reviewed journal and conference publications. His research group in the Design Research Laboratory and Sustainable Design and Manufacturing Laboratory are engaged in research in Ecodesign, biomimicry, engineering aesthetics, sustainable machining, and design creativity. Recently he is also working on developing products for rural applications. Dr. Sarkar secured jointly large fundings from various external funding agencies. He is currently a fellow of the Institute of Engineers, India.
Product design and Manufacturing
Sustainable design and manufacturing
Bio-mimicry in Design
Industrial Design (practicing)
Ph.D., Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 2007
M.Des., Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 2000
B.E., National Institute of Technology, Trichy, India, 1998
Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, July 2016-present
Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar, India, 2011-June, 2016
Associate researcher (Post Doc.), National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Gaithersburg, USA, 2008-2011
IISc Junior Research Associate, (Post Doc.), Centre for Product Design and Manufacturing, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 2007-2008
Development Engineer (senor design engineer), R&D, Bharat Earth Movers Limited, KGF, India, 2000-2003
J1. Prasant Kumar Singh* and Prabir Sarkar, 2019. A framework based on fuzzy AHP-TOPSIS for prioritizing solutions to overcome the barriers in implementation of eco-design practices in SMEs. International journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology. Taylor & Francis(I.F= 2.3) (accepted)
J2. L. Siddharth* and Prabir Sarkar, 2018. A multiple-domain matrix support for capturing rationale in engineering change management. Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, JCISE, ASME. (I.F= 1.3). Vol: 18, issue-2 (doi: 10.1115/1.4039850).
J3. Gyanandra S Goindi*, Anshu D Jayal, Prabir Sarkar, 2018. Application of ionic liquids in interrupted minimum quantity lubrication machining of plain medium carbon steel: effects of ionic liquid properties and cutting conditions. Journal of Manufacturing Processes. SME, Elsevier (SCI, I.F.= 2.3). Volume 32, April 2018, Pages 357-371. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2018.03.007)
J4. Rachit Kumar Sharma*, Sheshanth Pallakonda*, Geo Raju*, Prabir Sarkar, Ekta Singla, Harpreet Singh, 2018. An Approach to Evaluate Sustainability of a Production Process Based on its LCA and Environment Impact Analysis: A Case Study on a Food Product. Materials Today: Proceedings, Elsevier. Volume 5, Issue 5, Part 2, 2018, Pages 12467-12473 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2018.02.226).
J5. Umesh Chaturvedi*, Monica Sharma, G.S. Dangayach, Prabir Sarkar, 2018. Evolution and Adoption of Sustainable Practices in the Pharmaceutical Industry: an overview with an Indian Perspective. Journal of Cleaner Production, Elsevier. (I.F.= 6.2) Volume 168, 1 December 2017, Pages 1358-1369 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.08.184).
J6. G. S. Goindi*, P. Sarkar, A. D. Jayal, S. N. Chavan*, D. Mandal, 2018. Investigation of Ionic liquids as additives to Canola oil in minimum quantity lubrication milling of plain medium carbon steel. The international Journal of Advanced Manufacturing technology, Springer, vol 94, issue 1-4, pp 881-896. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-017-0970-1 ) (I.F.=2.2).
Patent 1. Amaresh Chakrabarti, Prabir Sarkar, 2014. Method for Idea Generation for Creation of Product Designs, Indian patent application no.: 859/CHE/2006, patent grant no.: 258579, date of filing: 16th May 2006 (Link: http://www.ipcell.iisc.ernet.in)
2. Archana Badodekar, Prabir Sarkar, Amaresh Chakrabarti, Prasad G Kamble, 2005. A manually operated aid for impaired people to ingress and egress train and method thereof, Indian patent grant no.: 227939, date of filing: 20th April 2005. Patent
Patent 3. B.Gurumoorthy, Neeraj Pal, and Prabir Sarkar, 2000. Rupturable disposable syringe, Indian patent grant number: 198228, date of filing: 25th February 2000.
Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs)
1. Amaresh Chakrabarti, Prabir Sarkar, 2014. Method for Idea Generation for Creation of Product Designs, Indian patent application no.: 859/CHE/2006, patent grant no.: 258579, date of filing: 16th May 2006 (Link: http://www.ipcell.iisc.ernet.in) [Link].
2. Archana Badodekar, Prabir Sarkar, Amaresh Chakrabarti, Prasad G Kamble, 2005. A manually operated aid for impaired people to ingress and egress train and method thereof, Indian patent grant no.: 227939, date of filing: 20th April 2005. [Link]
3. B.Gurumoorthy, Neeraj Pal, and Prabir Sarkar, 2000. Rupturable disposable syringe, Indian patent grant number: 198228, date of filing: 25th February 2000.
Design patent granted (Design registration)
4. Dr. Prabir Sarkar, Dr. Devendra Kumar Chauhan (Department of Orthopedics, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER, Chandigarh), students: Anshu Kaushal, Jaspal Singh, Kaustav Das, Milind Aggarwal. Bone alignment measuring device for knee surgery. Design Application No. 292918.Design accepted and published, Journal no: 42/2019, dated 18.10.2019
Patents Pending (filed, some of them are published) [link]
5. Mr. Amit Rajnikant Patel, Dr. Prabir Sarkar, Dr. Himanshu Tyagi and Prof. Harpreet Singh. System and method for tracking details of energy associated with an energy generation process. Application no.: 202011011721 dated 18/03/2020.
6. Dr. Prabir Sarkar, Prof. Harpreet Singh, Mr. Harmanpreet Singh, Mr. Fateh Singh, Mohd. Sahil and Mr. Kharak Singh. Stubble removing and conveying machine. Non-Provisional Patent Application filed before IPO-Delhi, 2019. Application no. 201911041636, dated, 15-Aug-2019.
7. US Patent Application No. 16/540,736. Inventors: Malkeet SINGH, Harpreet SINGH, Christopher Charles BERNDT, Prabir SARKAR. Date of Filing: 14/08/2019. Title: Technology and process for 3d printing using swarf particles
8. Filing of Complete Application (Patent of Addition) in India: (LRN No: P3001-IN). Application No: 201923001267. Date of Filing: 10/01/2019. Title: A technology and process for 3D printing using SWARF particles. Applicants: Indian Institute of Technology Ropar and Swinburne University of Technology. Inventors: Malkeet Singh, Harpreet Singh, Christopher Charles Berndt and Prabir Sarkar.
9. Amit R Patel, Prabir Sarkar, Himanshu Tyagi, Harpreet Singh, Sudhakar Sagi, 2018. A Method for Determining a Single Discounting Rate for the Processes Involving Emissions. Application no: 201811044462. Date of filing: 26-Nov-18
10. Dr. Prabir Sarkar, Akash Mathwani, Arpit Sharma, Jitenda Kumar, Harshjeet Singh Aulakh, 2017. System and method for controlling electronic locks, Indian patent application number: 201711003769, filing date: February 01, 2017.
11. Dr. Navin Kumar, Dr. Prabir Sarkar, 2016. A method of fabricating particleboard from cellulosic plant material, Indian patent application number: 201611029993, filing date: 01-Sep-2016.
12. Dr. Prabir Sarkar, Nishant Bagaria, Ekjot Singh, Nabajit Hazowary, Gaurav Kumar, 2016. A rectangular slot-cutting machine for slots of variable sizes, Indian patent application number: 201611015347, filing date: 03-May-2016.
13. Dr. Prabir Sarkar, 2016. A programmable electro mechanical combination locking system, Indian patent application number: 201611004726, filing date: 10-Feb-2016.
14. Dr. Prabir Sarkar, Dinesh Chauhan, Duddela Sai Harish, Gaurav Gupta, Dhruv Kumar Bansal, 2016. Semi-automatic food processing device for preparing sweets and savories, Indian patent application number: 201611000957, filing date: 11-Jan-2016.
15. Gyanendra Singh Goindi, Dr. Anshu Dhar Jayal, Dr. Prabir Sarkar, 2015. A Flexible Continuous Minimum Quantity Lubrication (FCMQL) system, Indian patent application number: 3971/DEL/2015, filing date: 07-Dec-2015.
16. Dr. Prabir Sarkar, Bishal Ghosh, Mahak Sarin, Alluvala Mamata, Dev Prabhaker Singh Tomar, 2015. Stapler device with multi-tier force multiplication mechanism for binding hard materials, Indian patent application number: 3961/DEL/2015, filing date: 04-Dec- 2015.
17. Dr. Prabir Sarkar (Principal Investigator), Banoth Praveen Kumar, Honey Singla, Imroj Qamar, Jaskaran Singh Virdi, Kumar Harshad, 2013. Weighing system, Indian patent application number: 3354/DEL/2013, filing date: 15-November- 2013.