Dr. Tyagi received his Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from IIT-Delhi in 2001, Master's degree from University of Windsor (Canada) in 2005 and PhD from Arizona State University (USA) in 2008. He has worked in the Steam Turbine Design Group of Siemens Ltd. (in Germany and India) for more than 2 years as a Design Engineer and at the Thermal and Fluids Core Competency Lab in Intel Corp (in USA) as a Graduate Research Intern. He joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at IIT Ropar in 2009 as an Assistant Professor, and has been working as Associate Professor since 2015.
During his doctoral studies, Dr. Tyagi studied the radiative and ignition properties of nanofluids. A nanofluid-based direct absorption solar collector (DAC) was developed and this work received the Best Paper Award at the ASME Energy Sustainability 2007 Conference in California, U.S.A. He has also studied the ignition properties of nanoparticle-laden diesel droplets. The publication based on this work has appeared in Nano-Letters and has been highlighted in Nature and Chemical & Engineering News.
Among other awards, Dr. Tyagi has received Summer Undergraduate Research Award (SURA) at IIT-Delhi and the International Graduate Student Scholarship at University of Windsor, Canada. His research interests include thermo-fluids engineering, radiative and ignition properties of nanofluids, nanoscale heat transfer and its applications in energy harvesting.
We successfully hosted the Indo-US Workshop on Recent Advances in Micro/Nanoscale Heat Transfer and Applications in Clean Energy Technologies during Dec 21-22, 2013 at IIT Ropar. Link here .
Areas of Research
Thermo-fluids, Bio-heat Transfer, Nanofluids, Nanoscale heat transfer
Clean and Sustainable Energy, Solar Energy, Energy Storage
Turbulent Flows, Combustion, Thermodynamics, Biomass Pyrolysis and Gasification
Ignition Properties of Fuels Containing Nano-Particles, Thermal Management and Packaging of Micro-Electronic Devices
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Arizona State University, Tempe, USA, 2008
M.A.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, University of Windsor, Windsor, Canada, 2005
B.Tech., Mechanical Engineering, I.I.T - Delhi, India, 2001
Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, 2015-Present
Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, 2009-2015
Graduate Research Intern, Intel Corp, U.S.A, 2008
Design Executive, Siemens Ltd, India, 2001-03
27. Delivered an invited talk on "Efficient Absorption of Solar Energy Using Nanoparticle-Laden Fluids" during the First International Conference on Sustainable Energy and Environmental Challenges (SEEC - 2017) held at Center of Innovative and Applied Bioprocessing (CIAB), Mohali, India, 2017.
26. Delivered an invited talk on "Role of Nanotechnology in Optimizing Solar Thermal Energy" during the 4th National Conference on Advancement in Simulation & Experimental Techniques in Mechanical Engineering, at Chandigarh University, India, 2017.
25. Delivered an expert lecture on "Current Developments in the Use of Nanotechnology in Thermal & Fluids Engineering" during the Faculty Development Programme on Recent Trends and Advances in Engineering and Technologies at U.I.E.T, Kurukshetra University, India, 2017.
24. Delivered an invited talk on "Efficient Energy Transfer & Storage: Utilizing Nanoparticles for Harnessing Solar Energy" during the Le Studium Conference on 'Future Strategies in Electrochemical Technologies for Efficient Energy Utilisation' at Tours, France, 2016.
23. Delivered an expert talk on "Nanotechnology and its Applications in Solar Thermal Engineering" during the Faculty Development Program, at Chandigarh University, India, 2016.
22. Delivered an expert talk on "Bio-Heat Transfer and its Role in Hyperthermia" during the Faculty Development Program on Thermal Energy and its Applications, at Chandigarh Engineering College, India, 2016.
21. Delivered an expert talk on "Applications of Nanoscale Heat Transfer" during the Faculty Development Program on 'Emerging Trends in Mechanical Engineering', at R.I.E.I.T., India, 2015.
20. Delivered an invited session talk on "Solar Energy: Nanoparticle Applications in High Heat Flux Solar Collectors" during the Ninth National Frontiers of Engineering Symposium (9NatFoE) for Young Indian Engineers, Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE), at IIT Jodhpur, India, 2015.
19. Delivered an invited lecture on "Solar Thermal Energy: Nanoparticles for Enhanced Energy Conversion" during the workshop on 'Innovations in Solar Thermal Energy Storage Technologies and its Future Prospects' at TERI University, India, 2015.
18. Delivered an expert lecture on “Solar Energy: Nanofluid Volumetric Receivers” during the STC on Heat Transfer in Chemically Reacting Systems at IIT Roorkee, India, 2014.
17. Delivered an expert lecture on “Utilization of Nanotechnology in Harnessing Solar Energy" during the FDP on Advances in Thermal Energy at U.I.E.T, Kurukshetra University, India, 2014.
16. Delivered a keynote lecture on “Nanofluid Applications in High Heat Flux Solar Collectors” during the FDP on Advanced Energy and Thermal Systems at DCRUST, Murthal, India, 2014.
15. Delivered an invited lecture on “Renewable Energy Applications", KC Institute, India, 2014.
14. Delivered an invited session talk on “Harvesting Solar Energy Using Nanotechnology” during the Indo-US Workshop on Recent Advances in Micro/Nanoscale Heat Transfer and Applications in Clean Energy Technologies at IIT Ropar, India, 2013.
13. Delivered an invited lecture on “Applications of Nanoparticles in Harnessing Solar Thermal Energy” during the International Conference on Interdisciplinary Areas with Chemical Sciences (ICIACS 2013) at Panjab University, Chandigarh, India, 2013. 12. Delivered the plenary lecture on “Clean and Renewable Energy Resources” at the International Conference on Advancements and Futuristic Trends in Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar, India, 2013. 11. Delivered an invited lecture on “Opportunities in Solar Thermal Collectors” at Chandigarh University, India, 2013. 10. Delivered as Guest of Honour the inaugural lecture on “Technology Advances in Sustainable Energy Applications” during the 'Short Term Training Programme on Solar Energy and its Applications' (STTP-SEA) at MANIT Bhopal, India, 2013. 9. Delivered the invited lecture on “Applicability of Nanoparticle Suspensions in High Flux Solar Collectors” during the 'Short Term Training Programme on Solar Energy and its Applications' (STTP-SEA) at MANIT Bhopal, India, 2013. 8. Delivered an expert lecture on “Utilizing Nanoparticles for Harnessing Solar Thermal Energy” at NIT Hamirpur as part of the National Workshop on Power Generation from Renewable Energy Sources sponsored by Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, India, 2013. 7. Delivered a research seminar on “Harvesting Solar Energy Using Nanofluids-Based Concentrating Solar Collection” at the School of Photovoltaic and Renewable Energy Engineering (SPREE), University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2012. 6. Delivered an expert lecture on “Role of Nanotechnology in Harnessing Renewable Energy” at RBCEBTW College, as part of Faculty Development Program on 'Emerging Trends in Nanoscience and Technology' sponsored by PTU (Punjab Technical University), India, 2012. 5. Delivered a lecture on “Development and Usage of Clean Energy Resources” at the Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada, 2011. 4. Delivered a talk on “Solar Energy: Nanofluids-Based Direct Absorption Solar Collectors”, at the Simon Fraser University, Surrey, British Columbia, Canada, 2011. 3. Delivered a lecture on “New and Renewable Energy Resources in India”, at the NRC Institute for Fuel Cell Innovation, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, 2011. 2. Delivered a talk on “Energy Sustainability: An Indian Context” at the Powertech Labs Inc., Surrey, British Columbia, Canada, 2011. 1. Delivered a seminar on "Radiative and Ignition Properties of Nanoparticle-Laden Liquids (Nanofluids)", at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 2009.
Awards and Honours
14. Recipient of the International Travel Award awarded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST-SERB), Govt. of India, for attending ASME MNHMT Conference held at Singapore, Jan 2016.
13. Recipient of Indo-US Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF) grant awarded for organizing an Indo-US Workshop on "Recent Advances in Micro/Nanoscale Heat Transfer and Applications in Clean Energy Technologies" at IIT Ropar during Dec 2013.
12. Recipient of Travel Fellowship awarded by Centre for International Co-operation in Science (CICS), for attending the ASME MNHMT Conference held at Hong Kong, China, Dec 2013.
11. Delivered as Guest of Honour the inaugural lecture on “Technology Advances in Sustainable Energy Applications” during the 'Short Term Training Programme on Solar Energy and its Applications' (STTP-SEA) at MANIT Bhopal, India, Jun 2013.
10. Recipient of the International Travel Award awarded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. of India, for attending the ASME MNHMT Conference held at Atlanta, GA, USA, Mar 2012.
9. Recipient of the Best Paper Award for the paper titled "Predicted Efficiency of a Nanofluid-Based Direct Absroption Solar Receiver", awarded by ASME Solar Energy Division at Energy Sustainability 2007 Conference, Long Beach, CA, Jun 2007.
8. Recipient of Two Travel Grant Awards, awarded by the Division of Graduate Studies at Arizona State University for attending conferences in Jun 2007 and Nov 2008.
7. Recipient of 'International Graduate Student Scholarship' at University of Windsor, CANADA, Mar 2005.
6. Adjudicated 'Best Project of the year' for the work titled 'Design Conceptualisation in 3-D Environment', amongst 23 teams of graduate engineer trainees in SIEMENS LTD., INDIA, Aug 2002.
5. Recipient of Roll of Honour at Nilgiri House, I.I.T. Delhi, INDIA, 2001.
4. Recipient of Summer Undergraduate Research Award (SURA), I.I.T Delhi, INDIA, May 1999.
3. Ranked within the top 0.2% of the candidates, who appeared for the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE - 1997) conducted by the six I.I.Ts for entrance to the undergraduate B.Tech Programs, with an All India Rank (AIR) of 431.
2. Top Ranker (1st Position) in the State Level RMO (Regional Mathematical Olympiad), 1996, INDIA.
1. Recipient of the prestigious National Talent Search Examination (NTSE) Scholarship for the duration 1995-2001, being selected amongst the top 750 candidates throughout the country, INDIA.
Administrative responsibilities /Services
11. Member of Senate, IIT Ropar (2014-onwards).
10. Associate Dean , Academics (UG), IIT Ropar (2015-onwards).
9. Coordinator, UG Programme [Academics], IIT Ropar (2014-2015).
8. Center for Innovation and Business Incubation (CIBI) Governing Board member, IIT Ropar (2013-onwards).
7. Academic Committee for Undergraduate Studies (ACUGS) member, IIT Ropar (2012-onwards).
6. B.Tech Project (BTP) Coordinator for SMMEE for the year 2013-14, IIT Ropar.
5. Faculty Advisor for 2010ME batch students, IIT Ropar.
4. AC and Refrigeration Committee chairman, IIT Ropar (2010-2014).
3. Faculty-incharge of Sports Activities, IIT Ropar (2009-2014).
2. Member of several other institute and department level committees at IIT Ropar.
1. Reviewed books & papers for the following publishers, conferences and journals
- Cambridge University Press
- Elsevier Books
- ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition
- ASME InterPACK Conference
- ASME Micro/Nano Scale Heat and Mass Transfer Conference
- ISHMT-ASME Heat and Mass Transfer Conference
- Applied Energy
- Applied Thermal Engineering
- ASME Journal of Heat Transfer
- ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering
- ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering
- ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications
- Energy and Buildings
- Heat Transfer Engineering
- IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology
- IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology
- Indian Journal of Pure & Applied Physics
- International Journal of Environmental Studies
- International Journal of Low-Carbon Technologies
- International Journal of Nanomedicine
- Journal of Energy Institute
- Journal of Heat Transfer
- Journal of Laser Applications
- Journal of Materials Chemistry A
- Journal of Materials Science
- Journal of Mathematics and Statistics
- Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy
- Materials Science and Engineering B
- Nano Energy and Nano Environment
- Nanoscale and Microscale Thermophysical Engineering
- National Academy Science Letters
- Neural Computing and Applications
- Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, India Section A: Physical Sciences
- Sadhana - Academy Proceedings in Engineering Sciences
- Sensors and Actuators A: Physical
- Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells
- Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments
- Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals
International Collaborations Australia: RMIT University, University of New South Wales Canada: McGill University, Simon Fraser University UK: Brunel University, University of Aston USA: Arizona State University, University of Texas - Arlington, University of Tulsa
A more complete list, including conference publications, can be found at Google Scholar and ResearchGate Pre-print versions of journal papers are available here
Refereed Journal Papers (International)
21. Khullar, V., Bhalla, V., and Tyagi, H., 2017, "Potential Heat Transfer Fluids (Nanofluids) for Direct Volumetric Absorption-Based Solar Thermal Systems", Accepted for publication in ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4036795)
20. Bhalla, V., and Tyagi, H., 2017, "Solar Energy Harvesting By Cobalt Oxide Nanoparticles, A Nanofluid Absorption Based System", Accepted for publication in Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.seta.2017.01.011)
19. Patel, A., Sarkar, P., Tyagi, H., and Singh, H., 2016, "Time Value of Emission and Technology Discounting Rate for Off-Grid Electricity Generation in India using Intermediate Pyrolysis", Environmental Impact Assessment Review, Vol. 59, pp. 10–26. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eiar.2016.03.001)
18. Soni, S., Tyagi, H., Taylor, R. A., and Kumar, A., 2015, "Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Heat Confinement During Nanoparticle-Assisted Thermal Therapy", International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 69, pp. 11-17. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2015.10.001)
17. Soni, S., Tyagi, H., Taylor, R. A., and Kumar, A., 2015, "The Influence of Tumour Blood Perfusion Variability on Thermal Damage During Nanoparticle-Assisted Thermal Therapy”, International Journal of Hyperthermia, Vol. 31(6), pp. 615-625. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/02656736.2015.1040470)
16. Saroha, S., Mittal, T., Modi, P. J., Bhalla, V., Khullar, V., Tyagi, H., Taylor, R. A., and Otanicar, T. P., 2015, "Theoretical Analysis and Testing of Nanofluids-Based Solar Photovoltaic/Thermal (PV/T) Hybrid Collector",ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 137(9), p. 091015. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4030228)
15. Hewakuruppu, Y., Taylor, R. A., Tyagi, H., Khullar, V., Otanicar, T. P., Coulombe, S., and Hordy, N., 2015, "Limits of selectivity of direct volumetric solar absorption", Solar Energy, Vol. 114, pp. 206-216. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2015.01.043)
14. Otanicar, T. P., Theisen, S., Norman, T., Tyagi, H., and Taylor, R. A., 2015, "Envisioning advanced solar electricity generation: Parametric studies of CPV/T systems with spectral filtering and high temperature PV", Applied Energy Vol. 140, pp. 224-233. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.11.073)
13. Khullar, V., Tyagi, H., Hordy, N., Otanicar, T., Hewakuruppu, Y., Modi, P., and Taylor, R. A., 2014, "Harvesting solar thermal energy through nanofluid-based volumetric absorption systems", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer Vol. 77, pp. 377-384. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2014.05.023)
12. Soni, S., Tyagi, H., Taylor, R. A., and Kumar, A., 2014, "Investigation on nanoparticle distribution for thermal ablation of a tumour subjected to nanoparticle assisted thermal therapy", Journal of Thermal Biology Vol. 43, pp. 70-80. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jtherbio.2014.05.003)
11. Gulati, R., Reddy, A., Khullar, V., Bhalla, V., Tyagi, H., Zhao, Y., Law, E., and Taylor, R. A., 2013, "Enhancing the efficiency of absorption refrigeration cycle by seeding nanoparticles directly in the working fluid", International Journal of Environmental Studies, Vol. 70(5), pp. 808-823. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00207233.2013.798503)
10. Phelan, P., Otanicar, T., Taylor, R., and Tyagi, H., 2013, "Trends and Opportunities in Direct-Absorption Solar Thermal Collectors”, ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, Vol. 5(2), p. 021003. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4023930)
9. Soni, S., Tyagi, H., Taylor, R. A., and Kumar, A., 2013, "Role of Optical Coefficients and Healthy Tissue Sparing Characteristics in Gold Nanorod Assisted Thermal Therapy”, International Journal of Hyperthermia, Vol. 29(1), pp. 87-97. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/02656736.2012.753162)
8. Taylor, R., Coulombe, S., Otanicar, T., Phelan, P., Gunawan, A., Lv, W., Rosengarten, G., Prasher, R., and Tyagi, H., 2013, "Small Particles, Big Impacts: A Review of the Diverse Applications of Nanofluids”, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 113(1), p. 011301. [Invited] (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4754271) [Appeared on the cover of the Journal of Applied Physics]
7. Khullar, V., Tyagi, H., Phelan, P. E., Otanicar, T. P., Singh, H., and Taylor, R. A., 2012, "Solar Energy Harvesting Using Nanofluids-Based Concentrating Solar Collector”, ASME Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, Vol. 3(3), p. 031003. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4007387)
6. Khullar, V. and Tyagi, H., 2012, "A Study on Environmental Impact of Nanofluid-Based Concentrating Solar Water Heating System", International Journal of Environmental Studies, Vol. 69(2), pp. 220-232. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00207233.2012.663227)
5. Otanicar, T. P., Phelan, P. E., Taylor, R. A., and Tyagi, H., 2011, "Spatially Varying Extinction Coefficient for Direct Absorption Solar Thermal Collector Optimization", ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, Vol. 133(2), p. 024501. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4003679)
4. Phelan, P. E., Gupta, Y., Tyagi, H., Prasher, R., Cattano, J., Michna, G., Zhou, R., Wen, J., Jensen, M., and Peles, Y. , 2010, "Energy Efficiency of Refrigeration Systems for High-Heat-flux Microelectronics", ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, Vol. 2(3), p. 031004. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4003041)
3. Tyagi, H., Phelan, P. E., and Prasher, R., 2009, "Predicted Efficiency of a Low-Temperature Nanofluid-Based Direct Absorption Solar Collector", ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, Vol. 131(4), p. 041004. [Appeared as 'Top 10 Most Downloaded Articles' of ASME JSEE during the months of Oct and Nov 2009] (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.3197562)
2. Tyagi, H., Phelan, P. E., Prasher, R., Peck, R., Lee, T. W., Pacheco, J. R., and Arentzen, P., 2008, "Increased Hot-Plate Ignition Probability for Nanoparticle-Laden Diesel Fuel", NanoLetters, Vol. 8(5), pp. 1410-1416. [Also highlighted in the Apr 30, 2008 issue of Chemical & Engineering News and in the Jun 2008 issue of Nature (Nature Nanotechnology)] (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl080277d) Impact factor > 13.
1. Tyagi, H., Liu, R., Ting, D. S.-K., and Johnston, C. R., 2006, "Measurement of Wake Properties of a Sphere in Freestream Turbulence", Experimental, Thermal and Fluid Sciences, Vol. 30, pp. 587-604. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2005.12.004)
1. Khullar, V., Soni, S., and Tyagi, H., "Nanoparticle-Laden Flow for Solar Absorption", Handbook of Multiphase Flow Science and Technology, Springer (G. H. Yeoh ed.) - In Production, 2017. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-981-4585-86-6_19-1)